God as Melody

  • Prachar
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2003
      Of all the elements that commend music to our sensibility, that which pulls
      strongest on the soul is melody.

      Rhythm appeals to our vitality, the pulse of life, the heartbeat coursing
      through our veins.

      The mode or scale impacts directly our emotional response.

      Harmony satisfies our moral sense, the urge to bring order into our universe
      of potential chaos.

      Form appeases our mental need for understanding and control, circumscribing
      the boundaries within which emotion can range.

      Style is a means through which composer, performer and listener can colour
      the musical experience, embracing it to the degree it conforms to the
      aesthetic sense of the individual.

      But all these exist only to support melody. Melody is the essence of music.
      It is melody that sets the strings of the soul in resonance, the more so
      the closer the melody conforms to the qualities of the soul –
      simplicity, purity, sweetness and light. (Light here can be understood as
      truth, authenticity, clarity).

      The purest and simplest melodies rise like beacons above and beyond the
      mists of time, nationality, the cultures and composers that discovered them.
      They are like the great scientific theories, eternal spiritual truths that
      are shared by all humanity forever.

      They exist deep within us, and call us to that state. They are wordless
      mantras, witnesses to the immortality of both music and the soul. Each of
      us is, at last, a melody.

      Throughout Sri Chinmoy’s Magnum Opus of 17,000 songs, melody reigns
      supreme. Here the most sublime poetry itself defers to melody. While the
      poetry dips its hat to demands of style and form, melody flies beyond,
      eschewing the constraints of harmony and the seduction of rhythm.

      Thus Sri Chinmoy’s songs sing directly to the soul, in the soul and
      for the soul, appealing to the vital, mind and heart insomuch as these parts
      of our being are also tuned to the soul’s divine resonance.

      Returning and immersing us in our satisfaction-source, Sri Chinmoy’s
      songs are the highest gift bestowed on mankind.