Re: How to Conquer Doubt

  • nayak_lp
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2003
      Doubt is the worst. Absolutely the worst. (Well, maybe pride is
      tied.) Having been raised in the scientific spirit and trained to
      doubt, and having learned some good doubt karate kicks and punches to
      fend my way through graduate school, I can verify that it is a hard
      habit to kick. It always seems safer to draw back and not accept
      something (doubt it) than to jump in on it.

      I must say that it is taking years and very rosey rewards of progress
      under the faith-filled tutelage of Sri Chinmoy to kick the doubt
      habit (tougher than stopping smoking, which I did stop years ago).

      I find that the best antidote to doubt is the company of spiritual
      people, who will always try to have faith in something and move
      forward through intuition, hope, with some delightful risk-taking at
      times. A doubter will always remain with his doubt and never enjoy
      the worlds that his doubt destroys.

      Priyadarshan, thank you for this reminder.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      Links:

      Sri Chinmoy Library - http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com

      Sri Chinmoy Poetry - http://www.srichinmoypoetry.com

      Sri Chinmoy Races - http://www.srichinmoyraces.org

      Sri Chinmoy Centre - http://www.srichinmoycentre.org

      Sri Chinmoy Music - http://www.srichinmoymusic.com

      Sri Chinmoy Art - http://www.srichinmoyart.com

      Radio Sri Chinmoy - http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org

      Sri Chinmoy TV - http://www.srichinmoy.tv

      Sri Chinmoy's main site: http://www.srichinmoy.org

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, Priyadarshan
      <priyadarshan@s...> wrote:
> [...]
      >
      > Why do we doubt? Because we are wanting in proper
      > understanding. There was a great spiritual saint named
      > Kavir. He said, "Listen to me, brothers: He understands
      > who loves."
      >
      > If we love, then we understand; and if we understand
      > the truth, then we have neither the opportunity nor
      > the necessity to cherish even an iota of doubt in our
      > day to day existence.
      >
      > We doubt God at our sweet will. We doubt God precisely
      > because we think He is invisible. We doubt Him because
      > we think He is inaudible. We doubt God because we think
      > He is incomprehensible.
      >
      > But to see Him, what have we done? To hear Him, what
      > have we done? To understand Him, what have we done?
      >
      > To see Him, have we prayed soulfully daily? The answer
      > is in the negative, no. To hear Him, have we loved mankind
      > devotedly? No. To understand Him, have we served divinity
      > in humanity? No. We have not prayed to God. We have
      > not loved mankind. We have not served the divinity in
      > humanity. Yet we want to see God face to face. It is
      > impossible.
      >
      > God can be seen on the strength of our inner cry,
      > which we call aspiration, the mounting flame within
      > us. Every moment this flame is mounting towards the
      > highest. If we know how to cry within, then this flame
      > will mount, will climb up high, higher, highest; and
      > while it is climbing up, it will illumine the world
      > around.
      >
      > There is an Indian proverb which I am sure most of
      > you have heard, "A strong man fears his enemy when
      > the enemy is far off, but when the enemy is near, he
      > is no longer afraid of the enemy. " I wish to add
      > that when doubt attacks a spiritually strong man, he
      > becomes stronger, infinitely stronger. He does this
      > by bringing to the fore his own soul's light which energises
      > him to fight against doubt and conquer it.
      >
      > There is another way to conquer doubt: If we at this
      > very moment feel that we are children, children of God;
      > and again, if we can feel that God is a Divine Child
      > playing with us. We are human children and He is a Divine
      > Child.
      >
      > A child does not doubt. He has implicit faith in his
      > parents. He has implicit faith in everyone he comes
      > across. We also can play the same role in our day to
      > day life. Let us play with God, the Divine Child. There
      > can be no shadow of doubt in our life when we speak,
      > when we eat, when we move around, if we feel that we
      > have a Divine Child within us, sporting with us. We
      > are not alone. There is someone playing with us at every
      > moment. If we know and feel this, then doubt can never
      > eclipse our mind.
      >
      > A lover of God, an adorer of God feels that deep within
      > him, in the inmost recesses of his heart, there is an
      > island of ecstasy; and this island can never be submerged
      > by the floods of doubt, for his love has already made
      > him one with this divine certitude.
      >
      > A seeker of the highest order said, "Some
      say 'He
      > (God) is too far'. Some say, 'No. He is at home
      > here'. But I have found Him. He is in the cradle of
      > love.
      >
      > When we love God, our problem is over. True, we all
      > do not see God face to face. But we can imagine for
      > a fleeting second that God with all His Love abides
      > in our dear and near ones. Let us try to see the face
      > of our Beloved in our dear ones. Where there is love,
      > true love, there is all oneness. Where there is oneness,
      > there can be no doubt-no darkening, no threatening,
      > no destructive doubt.
      >
      > Finally, how to conquer doubt. In order to conquer
      > doubt, we have to be in the process of purification
      > of our nature constantly. This purification has to take
      > place in our physical. The body has to be purified constantly.
      > It is not by washing the body or taking six or seven
      > baths a day that we can purify the body. Our body will
      > be purified only when we feel a living shrine within
      > us. Then we have to install the living deity of light
      > and truth within us. Then the body in no time will be
      > purified. At that time we cannot have any doubt in the
      > body, or in our physical mind.
      >
      > The vital. The vital has to play the role of dynamism.
      > It is the dynamic energy that we have to offer to the
      > vital, and not the aggressive and destructive power,
      > in order to conquer doubt in the vital.
      >
      > The mind. Each moment the mind has to be flooded with
      > clarity and right thinking. Each moment the mind has
      > to consciously house divine thoughts, divine ideas,
      > and divine ideals. Then doubt will not be able to breathe
      > in the mind.
      >
      > The heart. Each moment we have to make the heart soulful
      > so that we can easily conquer doubt in the heart. The
      > heart has to offer the message of sacrifice for others,
      > for the rest of the world; and while sacrificing his
      > very life breath, a sincere seeker feels that he is
      > not sacrificing anything, he is just expanding his own
      > inner consciousness and fulfilling himself here on earth.
      >
      > Doubt can be conquered. It has to be conquered. How?
      > The only answer is constant and soulful concentration
      > on the mind, meditation on the heart, and contemplation
      > on the entire being.
      >

      > [message sent by priyadarshan]
      >
      > ------
      > A few links to good sites about Sri Chinmoy, and Sri Chinmoy's
      works:

      > Sri Chinmoy Library - http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy Poetry - http://www.srichinmoypoetry.com
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy Races - http://www.srichinmoyraces.org
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy Centre - http://www.srichinmoycentre.org
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy Music - http://www.srichinmoymusic.com
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy Art - http://www.srichinmoyart.com
      >
      > Radio Sri Chinmoy - http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy TV - http://www.srichinmoy.tv
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy's main site: http://www.srichinmoy.org
    • upasito
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
        I think for a person of science,it is alright to start with
        doubt; then when the proof has been obtained, the doubt will be
        dispelled automatically.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, "nayak_lp"

      • agrahaj
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2003
          Dear Upasito,

          Thank you for your posting. I feel quite the opposite to what you
          have said, and I feel your point is very, very important. I have
          been trained quite rigorously in science for many, many years...in
          an MD-PhD research programme.

          Every single one of the greatest discoveries and contributions which
          I made--and they are actually quite miniscule in the larger scheme,
          but were quite large for me personally at the time--each
          contribution has come from the intuitive heart.

          I was fascinated to learn about how the greatest creative
          discoveries in the sciences and arts have been made...they have all
          been made through intuition, heartfelt and often desperate eagerness
          to discover the truth. Archimedes was the greatest mathematician of
          ancient times, and he discovered the Law of Buoyancy. He made his
          discovery when he got into his bathtub. He was so thrilled, that he
          ran out into the streets shouting "Eureka!" --I have found it!!!

          Albert Einstein discovered his Laws of Relativity not by doubting or
          even by thinking in the way we imagine it. He discovered these laws
          through a kinesthetic motion of his hands through space!

          I must say that my day-to-day maintenance activities are well-served
          by my mind--but not the doubting mind. For me, the doubting mind
          only hurts and divides.

          Even in day to day life, we all know that most things are decided
          within seconds of our meeting and speaking with people from people's
          inner feelings. Then we use the mind to rationalise what we have
          done.

          Truth to tell, even with a rigorous study of the greatest scientific
          creators, it is the intuitive heart that is the channel for their
          greatest discoveries.

          One other important point is that the discoverers and pioneers most
          all report that they are in a wonderful flow that somehow unites
          them with the entire world when these magnificent creative moments
          come. Many say that they must work very, very hard and then simply
          listen to the universe to get the answers. This, in my heart, is
          clearly the Supreme who is offering new Wisdom-Light to humanity in
          and through his choice instruments!

          With best regards,

          Agraha

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, "upasito"
          <THELl0NHEART@a...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > to consciously house divine thoughts, divine ideas,
          > > > and divine ideals. Then doubt will not be able to breathe
          > > > in the mind.
          > > >
          > > > The heart. Each moment we have to make the heart soulful
          > > > so that we can easily conquer doubt in the heart. The
          > > > heart has to offer the message of sacrifice for others,
          > > > for the rest of the world; and while sacrificing his
          > > > very life breath, a sincere seeker feels that he is
          > > > not sacrificing anything, he is just expanding his own
          > > > inner consciousness and fulfilling himself here on earth.
          > > >
          > > > Doubt can be conquered. It has to be conquered. How?
          > > > The only answer is constant and soulful concentration
          > > > on the mind, meditation on the heart, and contemplation
          > > > on the entire being.
          > > >

          > > > [message sent by priyadarshan]
          > > >
          > > > ------
          > > > A few links to good sites about Sri Chinmoy, and Sri Chinmoy's

        • Adhiratha Keefe
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2003
            I wonder if it is not really opposits but just a manner of viewing
            different parts of the same process.

            aaaa Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that "we are all
            philosophers, for there is nobody on earth who has not doubted at
            least once. So, in that respect, we are all philosophers---"
            bbbb The examples of great thinkers you noted discovered something
            important --- must have sensed the limitiations of the then current
            explanations as insufficent to explain or embody something.
            [ This could be like saying the world is maya [which I understood to
            be implying unreality] doesn't mean the world is "unreal" but that a
            maya view does not extend far enough to encompass all of reality.

            cccc It seems doubt can be usefull if it leads to [or is the result
            of] an awaraness of the insufficency of the current knowledge. The
            danger is that one stops at that stage of the process and gets caught
            in the doubt or despairs of ever being able to understand. In that
            sense one would not be open to "seeing" and miss the "eureka
            experience".

            So the response to doubt would seem to be the key - does one who
            first doubts, then choose to nurish the "eagerness to discover the
            truth" as you experssed it...

            On a second step of the creative - intutitive process: after these
            wonderfull intutiive leaders have had their "eurika" they have often
            gone about showing the rest of us sloooooooow learners many different
            ways to see this same rality. Sometimes using the tools of their
            trade [science, sport, art] to explain what is is that they saw in
            their initial intuitive flash....So they come back to earth and show
            us other proofs and that may be what "upasito" > <THELl0NHEART@" was
            observing. The lone seer poet or intuitive thinker, brings back the
            vision and demonstrates it enough different ways that the road sign
            slowly becomes a highway of proofs until most say this expanded
            vision is "intuitively" obvious.

            In some ways that is what it appears that Sri Chinmoy is constantly
            doing after his continuous inner experience which is so all
            encompassing. His many differnt activities [art - music - sports -
            dedicated service] are there to help us "extend" our ability to see
            ways to go beyond our initial doubts and to discover the "proof..

            If one must go against the status quo and suspend belief in a limited
            and unfulfilling explantation to get closer to the truth, it seems
            one must also then suspend "doubt" to be open to a more fulfilling
            truth entering.

            But thinking about all that might give someone a headache :-) --- so
            thank God for the simplicity of the heart, grace and the poise of
            meditation to keep it all in balance.
            - Adhiratha