Stories from the instrument makers' world - Esraj Part 10

  • pramodan7
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2004
      After putting the finishing touches on the instrument by optimizing
      the jawari, we immediately packed it in its case and ran over to the
      meditation room. By that time it was afternoon. We went straight to
      Sri Chinmoy, who was eagerly awaiting the instrument. "Oh, very
      light, very light," he said even before he took it in his own hands.
      Sri Chinmoy had asked us to build a light esraj, but until that
      moment we actually did not know how light is light. So we were very
      happy.

      Then Sri Chinmoy started to play. "Sound is excellent and I mean it,
      excellent, excellent. But I have problems with my finger. The string
      is very thin." Sri Chinmoy continued playing. "It is melting my
      heart like anything! The sound I like very much but I am afraid of
      my finger! ... Excellent, excellent, excellent, but what shall I do,
      what shall I do?"

      We suggested putting on a thicker string. Sri Chinmoy agreed.

      I ran back to our room, took a thicker string, and we immediately
      changed the string. Now the sound was really terrible. We could not
      believe our ears. It was like the instrument was built for this
      thinner string. We were afraid to show the instrument in this
      condition, but Sri Chinmoy was already calling for it. After he just
      played one single note he immediately asked for the first string. We
      were very relieved to come back to the original string. The sound
      was a million times better.

      That evening there was a function, with many people in attendance.
      After the program, Sri Chinmoy asked us to bring the instrument. We
      did so and Sri Chinmoy performed a spontaneous esraj concert.
      Needless to say, he transported us directly to heaven with his sweet
      delicate melodies.

      In the middle of the concert, something very amusing happened. Sri
      Chinmoy played a song with very high notes. When he finally reached
      the highest note there were no more frets. Sri Chinmoy slid his
      finger to that position and turned his head towards us. Very cutely
      he smiled to us from the corner of his eye, like he was saying "Hey
      boys! Is there not something missing?" This was such a sweet moment.
      Actually we had counted the frets in an old esraj picture. We did
      not know that Sri Chinmoy nowadays uses a few more frets.

      After this breathtaking performance Sri Chinmoy said: "Excellent,
      excellent, excellent!" A thunderous applause followed. When we
      reached the back of the hall, Sri Chinmoy started talking again.
      "The sound is melting my heart, so sweet, so delicate, so
      melodious... I enjoyed it immensely."

      Later on, Sri Chinmoy told us that this esraj which he now calls the
      German esraj is his absolute favorite instrument among all his
      instruments.

      Thank you, Sri Chinmoy for all these experiences, and for the
      opportunity to be a part of this divine game. Most of the time we
      felt such a strong flow of light, inspiration and energy. Words are
      definitely not enough to express our deep gratitude.

      Pramodan and Harkara
    • heartflower27
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
        Dearest brothers Pramodan and Harkara,

        On behalf of everyone, thanks to both of you for this incredibly
        inspiring journey to a little part of your creative genii worlds (I
        have printouts of all the "chapters" of your voluminous book). We
        all know how many amazing projects you two have created for our
        spiritual Master, Sri Chinmoy. And, need I add, how quickly you
        complete them all. It's simply unbelievable!

        Are all of the projects you work on filled with so many twists and
        turns in the road, obstacles, complications to overcome, and so
        forth? What an insight for us into what really goes on "behind the
        scenes". Certainly, it is obvious to us how grateful Sri Chinmoy is
        to the both of you for all the work you do for him. But, we aren't
        normally aware of just how much work is involved. So, again, thanks
        for sharing!

        I am reminded of a funny little story which occurred while we were in
        Cairns, tropical Nth Queensland for the Christmas Trip "Down Under"
        in January last year. I was riding on a bus into town one morning,
        when I suddenly had the divine inspiration that I needed some
        chocolate at that moment. Yes, I did say "needed", as distinct from
        merely "wanted". But how would I fulfil that need, unless I broke off
        my journey early, to get to some shops? It was, indeed, a major
        problem...

        A matter of a few minutes afterwards, Pramodan boards the bus. Guess
        what he is holding in his hands: a (large) block of chocolate! As I
        recall, it was peppermint flavoured. Pramodan proceeds to offer me
        some chocolate, intending that I take half of the entire block! Well,
        I could easily have coped with that much chocolate, but my ego didn't
        want me to be seen as being greedy, so I was more than delighted to
        take from Pramodan a couple of squares.

        As the saying goes, be careful what you pray for... you might just
        get it! But this was, of course, a divine prayer.

        With sincerest admiration and gratitude,

        Prashphutita

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, pramodan7