Reflections on life

  • devakigroulx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2004
      Sri Chinmoy is amazing, as we all know. My life has changed quite a
      lot in the last few months and in spite of the unfortunate
      happenings, I have, through the Grace of God, seen and learned so
      much.

      I was thinking about the phrase "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh
      away" (or something like that). I was really enjoying reading all
      the postings a few months ago, and then I got so busy at work I
      didn't have time to breathe (let alone post)! I was given a new
      level of English to teach - complicated grammar and writing
      techniques, etc. (at the University where I teach).

      It was all I could do to keep up with the new material and all the
      correcting as well as the Centre business, when I got word my father
      was very ill. Priority alert! He lived in a different city and it
      meant dropping everything and driving all night to get there. My
      husband works in flowers and it was their busiest time (Mother's
      Day), but somehow the colleagues in both our jobs were kind enough
      to work for us.

      My father had been a little sick, but it seemed they had found the
      solution and when I had talked to him a week previously, he was very
      upbeat. He was still practicing law at 77 years old. Now suddenly he
      had had a stroke and we were told to get there ASAP.

      We arrived at the hospital in the middle of the night and he was in
      a coma. Family and friends streamed through the ICU and the
      outpouring of love and friendship was so moving. When it was
      apparent he was not going to come out of the coma, it became evident
      that the close family would spend his last hour with him as the
      machines were disconnected.

      His wife (my step-mother), her daughter, one of my brothers, a close
      friend who is a Buddhist, and my husband all encircled the bed and
      silently prayed. Vidura (my husband) and I meditated and silently
      sang the Invocation. Instinctively, my step-mother, who had until
      then proclaimed that she didn't believe in God or Heaven, said: "I
      want to believe he is going to a better place." I told her, "Believe
      it, I feel he is here in spirit now and he wants and needs you to
      believe it." She put her hand on his heart and told him it was OK to
      leave, go and be peaceful.

      The Buddhist (Jewish) friend said, "I would love to sing for him, if
      I could." I said, "We can sing." So Vidura and I sang Guru's songs
      to him and the whole hospital room was enveloped in light. We sang a
      few more songs and Carole (my step-mother) said, "I was never a
      spiritual person before, but I am now!" Miracle! Slowly the heart
      stopped beating and we knew he was in God's Arms. Later, Carole
      repeated to everyone how beautiful the singing was and how she felt
      my father beside her constantly. When people say being at the
      bedside of a dying person is a 'gift,' it is true; but I had never
      experienced it before.

      Two weeks later I was at Aspiration Ground in NY, and suddenly I was
      'feeling' my father's spirit very strongly. The whole place flooded
      with light and I 'heard' my father, who had been a proclaimed
      atheist, non-believer, very afraid of death kind of person, say:
      "It's ONLY the OTHER SIDE!" Then I heard Sri Chinmoy call my name,
      and he blessed me for a very long time, taking away all the sadness
      and inwardly taking care of my step-mother and my family. God might
      have taken away my father from this earthly plane, but look what He
      gave to his wife: a new-found belief in the Afterlife, etc.

      The most miraculous thing was that Sri Chinmoy had only a few months
      earlier given my father a 'Lifting up the World with a Oneness-
      Heart' award, and had called him 'the guest of honour' at the
      function! When it came time for the funeral service, I inwardly felt
      that I had to tell all my father's hundreds of friends and family
      that Sri Chinmoy, who had honoured Princes and Kings and Heads of
      State with a similar award, had presented the medal to my father
      because of what he had in life, which was truly a Oneness-Heart - as
      evidenced by the outpouring of love and affection from all present.

      Our dear Guru is constantly taking care of all of us, his spiritual
      children, and our families as well. I was very grateful to be with
      Guru on Father's Day and knew that he was, is and will always be our
      True and Eternal Father.

      With gratitude and Oneness,
      your sister, Devaki
    • sunamitalim
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2004
        Dear Devaki,

        What a profound Life and Death experience you've been gifted with!
        [and another download for my Inspiration Group notebook.]

        Doubtless, every one of Sri Chinmoy's students has been blessed in
        myriad, unfathomable ways, which includes blessings on our loved
        ones as well. Sri Chinmoy embodies cosmic consciousness, largess and
        love for humanity.

        Soulful gratitude for your selfless sharing,
        Sunamita

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, devakigroulx

      • sushmitam_r
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 29, 2004
          Dear Devaki, I fear your posting is going to result in me being late
          for work! I identify so much with what you have written! I too have
          had such a busy time with work and centre that it's been hard to
          find time to post - in spite of my promise to the contrary!

          One of the things I have been wanting to post about is stories about
          my father and the last year of his life, including his death. Your
          story has inspired me to start my story series - but not today as I
          must be out of the house soon. Just a couple of snippets today... I
          too had the beautiful experience of singing to my father in hospital
          and feeling the beauty of Guru's light in the room. My father was in
          hospital for about 10 days, in and out of consciousness, and my
          mother and I spend most of each day there. In my case I spent most
          of the time singing, which was a beautiful experience (and totally
          amazed the hospital staff!).

          For about 6 weeks after Dad left his body, I experienced what I can
          only describe as "joy bursts". Mostly these occurred after
          meditation when I was sitting quietly just reading. Suddenly I would
          feel an arrow shoot into my heart - just like in the myths about
          cupid, but the arrow was filled with joy, not love. What's more, it
          had my father's signature on it... I can't describe it any other
          way! The arrow would 'pierce' me and then explode or perhaps
          burst... like a bubble filled with joy. The wordless message was
          clear - my father's soul was giving me a glimpse of the joy of the
          other world. There was a kind of thrill attached too, as if he were
          saying, "It's amazing! You're right! The soul's world is filled with
          joy!!"

          Enough!! I must go to work! I leave you with one of my favourite
          poems by Sri Chinmoy -:

          In vain
          Death, the finite
          Tries to hide
          Life, the Infinite

          Gratitude for your beautiful posting and the inspiration it's given
          me!

          Sushmitam

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sunamitalim

        • devakigroulx
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2004
            Sushmitam, thanks for sharing your hospital experience and your
            profound experience with your father's spirit. It's not easy to
            express these deep personal experiences, but they make the reality
            of Sri Chinmoy's message that life and death are just two sides of a
            'coin' very evident.

            Having spoken to many of Guru's students about their own
            experiences, I am constantly amazed (although I shoudn't be) that
            Guru is helping on so many different planes of consciousness. The
            fact that he guides and helps our families inwardly in life and
            death whether or not they fully believe in him, is a true testament
            to Guru's oneness with humanity and to his infinite compassion. I'm
            sure lots of us have stories similar to yours and mine, and it would
            be nice to hear them. I remember how we talked at celebrations about
            how we'd like to post themes and get people to comment on them from
            their own experience. While talking about the passsing of our loved
            ones is not easy, it can be therapeutic, spiritually and emotionally
            (you're the therapist).

            Thanks again for sharing. See you in August. Devaki

            -- In
            Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sushmitam_r

          • anami2708
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
              Hi everybody

              Devaki, thank you for your deep words.

              I also read Sushmitam's reply and her life-story of death. You both
              have touched my heart with your words, and there arose a strong
              inner cry to live my daily spiritual life with more intensity
              because you never know when you have to leave, it could be
              tomorrow...

              It is really deep if you come across death - specially if your dear
              ones are taken away from you. We probably all have our own
              experiences with that theme.

              Since we are born we all know that we have to die one day - and this
              is the same for everybody, but mostly we all tend to forget that. To
              be in more contact with that knowledge makes you more humble, more
              loving and forgiving towards your co-humans during life and its
              multifarious experiences.

              I found a nice question/answer in Sri Chinmoy's book "Death and
              Reincarnation":

              Question: Is there any special way we should meditate on a person
              who is dying?

              Sri Chinmoy: Suppose you have gone to see a casual acquaintance in
              the hospital. At that time you should concentrate on his heart. You
              do not have to look at the person, but put your whole concentration
              on his heart. First try to imagine a circle at his heart, and try to
              feel that this circle is rotating there like a disc. That means that
              life energy is now revolving consciously in the aspiration or in the
              vessel of the person who is sick. Through your concentration and
              meditation, you are entering into the heartbeat of that person. When
              you enter into the heartbeat, then your consciousness and the
              aspiring or dying consciousness of the other person rotate together.
              While they are rotating, pray with your whole being to the Supreme
              who is your Guru and everybody's Guru:

              "Let Thy Victory be achieved. Let Thy Will be done through this
              particular individual. I want only Your Victory."

              Victory does not necessary mean that the person will be cured. No,
              God may have decided that this person must leave the body for a very
              good reason. If you pray to God in a surrendered way and if the
              person leaves the body, then you are fulfilling God and you are
              fighting for the Victory of God. If God wants to take him to Heaven
              to do something for him there, then naturally it is God's Victory
              when the person leaves the body. If you pray for the Supreme's
              Victory, with your aspiration you are giving all the responsibility
              to the Supreme. And when you can consciously give the responsibility
              to the Supreme, you are doing the right thing.

              * * *

              As students of Sri Chinmoy, we should also know that it is
              appropriate to sing our "Invocation" when a soul is leaving for the
              other world. Even after the soul has left, the "Invocation" can be
              helpful to the soul in finding its way back home.

              In Silence and Light
              Anami

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
              > gave to his wife: a new-found belief in the Afterlife, etc.
              >
              > The most miraculous thing was that Sri Chinmoy had only a few months
              > earlier given my father a 'Lifting up the World with a Oneness-
              > Heart' award, and had called him 'the guest of honour' at the
              > function! When it came time for the funeral service, I inwardly felt
              > that I had to tell all my father's hundreds of friends and family
              > that Sri Chinmoy, who had honoured Princes and Kings and Heads of
              > State with a similar award, had presented the medal to my father
              > because of what he had in life, which was truly a Oneness-Heart - as
              > evidenced by the outpouring of love and affection from all present.
              >
              > Our dear Guru is constantly taking care of all of us, his spiritual
              > children, and our families as well. I was very grateful to be with
              > Guru on Father's Day and knew that he was, is and will always be our

            • devakigroulx
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
                Thanks Anami for your thoughts and for the quote from Sri Chinmoy's
                book "Death and Reincarnation." It's amazing that all of us there
                did focus on my father's heart, and I prayed almost word for word as
                Guru suggested - for God's Victory. It just shows how we can be
                unconscious instruments when we try to live in the soul's realm and
                not in the mind's. The most ironic thing was that a few days before
                that I had been talking to someone from another Canadian Centre who
                related his father's deathbed experience. He said that he had knelt
                at his father's bedside and sang the Invocation. I told him I'd
                never be a be to do that, knowing that my father and that side of
                the family were not that accepting of spirituality. I also had no
                idea that two days from then I'd be at my own father's deathbed!

                When I was able to sing the Invocation (albeit silently), I thought
                of how amazing it was that I had the opportunity. Another wonderful
                thing that happened was that my father's brother - who had not been
                on speaking terms with him (stupid human pride) - came to the
                hospital in shock at the loss of his older brother. My brother and I
                brought him into the room and told him to say everything he had NOT
                said while my father was concious. Even though he was in a coma, we
                knew he would hear and it would help him to pass on more peacefully.
                My uncle sat beside my father, took his hands and told him how much
                he loved him and that he was so sorry that they had not reconciled
                and that he begged his forgiveness. We all cried and I knew once
                again how our beloved Guru was working through our whole family. I
                am so grateful.

                Devaki

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, anami2708

              • dharmaja
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
                  Dear Devaki,

                  In your recent post, you stated,

                  "It just shows how we can be unconscious instruments when we try to
                  live in the soul's realm and not in the mind's."

                  I would have to say that you were a FULLY CONSCIOUS instrument.

                  D.A.
                  San Diego, California