London Centre

  • nurarimerry
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2004
      [From Nurari]

      London is such a multicultural city, even more so now we have new
      brothers and sisters in the European community. Many people come
      from other countries to live and work in London. The Sri Chinmoy
      centre in London reflects this. A richly diverse group of people
      come together twice a week to meditate. It shows how meditation is
      for everyone from anywhere in the world, and how all of our common
      aim to plumb the depths of our beings and discover our true selves
      transcends the barriers of country and culture, to create a deeply
      harmonious meditative atmosphere.
    • shardul_nz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2004
        Hi Everyone,

        Here in Auckland, we have seen such a large number of new immigrants
        adding to the cultural mix of our city - and indeed to the
        population of New Zealand in general. When I was younger, we had a
        much smaller population and a very narrow range of cultures that fit
        into the early development of our young country's modern history.
        With the globalisation thing, which seems to have really picked up
        momentum since the 1980's, that has all changed rather dramatically.

        It's really nice to have all these diverse cultures meet together,
        and it seems to be happening all over the world - as if humanity is
        being shuffled like a deck of cards. It has certainly added cultural
        variety to our little city, and I think that is for the better.
        There is always that period of time where everyone is getting to
        know each other, but after a generation or so, the effect seems to
        be a broadening of attitudes and acceptance that adds to the
        maturity of a nation and its people. We all have something to offer
        each other and also to accept from each other.

        Our meditation classes are a real example of cultural diversity, and
        it is often the case that the so-called non Kiwi's outnumber the
        "locals". "Spot the Kiwi" we call it! (This is in no way a reference
        to the "Little Spotted Kiwi", which is a cute, small, rare and
        flightless native NZ bird with a really long beak!) Of course many
        of the visitors to our meditation classes are traveling and move on
        again, but they are seekers, and who knows where they will end up
        and what impact coming to meditation classes will have in their
        lives as time goes by.

        We often have people come to classes and tell us that they have been
        to our Meditation Centres somewhere else in the world. They enjoy
        the atmosphere of our Centre culture very much - like members of our
        extended family. They take tremendous inspiration from Sri Chinmoy's
        teachings and example, and feel so comforted to be able to visit our
        Centres and enterprises as they travel the globe. Sometimes these
        people seem to be seekers of the exemplary type, and we take great
        inspiration and encouragement from them. Generally speaking, the
        fixed population of Auckland is really becoming diverse, and it
        shows in the classes.

        For sure, the cultural profile of the Auckland Sri Chinmoy Centre
        members is a reflection of the times. We have a small United Nations
        happening now. Not only do we boast New Zealanders of mixed
        European, Maori and Pacific Island descent, but we also have members
        from Australia, India (Hindu and Muslim), Armenia, China, England,
        Czech Republic/Slovakia, Canada, Ireland, Germany, South Africa,
        Zimbabwe, Yugoslavia, Thailand und Germany. I am sure that the other
        NZ centres could add to the list.

        So the world's borders seem to be blurring; which is great. "Variety
        is the spice of life" as someone once said. Sri Chinmoy has often
        spoken about the fact that humanity is but "one big family". This
        has indeed been the message of all the spiritual masters throughout
        the sweep of the ages.

        With all the immigration that is happening these days, there
        certainly seems to be a greater opportunity to allow that reality to
        blossom in the world. May we all learn to live in harmony and
        oneness - and fulfill God's Dream for His Creation.

        Love to all - Shardul.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, nurarimerry