Someone Left the Cake Out

  • sundari_one
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2004
      Tonight after our centre meditation here in San Francisco, Mayuri
      gave me a present that brought back some of my funniest memories of
      this past April Celebration. It was a T-shirt she had designed and
      printed with a cake with green frosting, rain clouds and the words
      of the song "MacArthur Park." For those of you too young to
      remember, the chorus was:

      "MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
      All the sweet green icing flowing down.
      Someone left the cake out in the rain.
      I don't think that I can take it
      'Cause it took so long to bake it
      And I'll never have that recipe again.
      Oh no!"

      Over the years we (the cake making teams) have had many hurdles to
      contend with, but this year's weather on April 13th proved to be
      the most challenging ever! Those who were there may remember seeing
      40 women holding cakes standing outside the gate as you walked by
      them after taking prasad. Well, Guru was called away just at that
      moment for what turned into almost an hour. That would have been
      fine except for the light drizzle that was falling and every few
      minutes seemed to be getting just a little bit heavier. Before long
      it was a steady rain and then a torrential downpour. After a while
      the cake was sincerely wet. That's when the words from MacArthur
      Park popped into my head, and after that, the whole experience
      became just a lot of fun. It took the whole cake experience into a
      whole new realm.

      After we brought the cake in and were starting to serve it, I was
      asked to take two pieces to our most beloved guests who had just
      arrived and were waiting in the tent for Sri Chinmoy. As I handed a
      piece to one of them, I said, "This is the moistest cake you will
      ever eat!" He said, "You're looking rather moist yourself!"

      From a baker's point of view, it was kind of a disaster. But from a
      spiritual point of view it was another of Guru's many triumphs.
      People sat for hours in a downpour just to be in our Guru's presence
      on that special day and we all shared a unique experience that will
      remain with us for a long long time. I don't think any of us would
      have missed it for the world.

      And in spite of being so moist, I thought the cake really tasted
      pretty good!

      ­Sundari
    • salil_wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2004
        I thought the cake tasted pretty good too!

        Maybe you should include that in the recipe.

        Something like - "Please let cake stand in rain for one hour or until
        appropriately moist."

        Salil

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sundari_one
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Tonight after our centre meditation here in San Francisco, Mayuri
        > gave me a present that brought back some of my funniest memories of
        > this past April Celebration. It was a T-shirt she had designed and
        > printed with a cake with green frosting, rain clouds and the words
        > of the song "MacArthur Park." For those of you too young to
        > remember, the chorus was:
        >
        > "MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
        > All the sweet green icing flowing down.
        > Someone left the cake out in the rain.
        > I don't think that I can take it
        > 'Cause it took so long to bake it
        > And I'll never have that recipe again.
        > Oh no!"
        >
        > Over the years we (the cake making teams) have had many hurdles to
        > contend with, but this year's weather on April 13th proved to be
        > the most challenging ever! Those who were there may remember seeing
        > 40 women holding cakes standing outside the gate as you walked by
        > them after taking prasad. Well, Guru was called away just at that
        > moment for what turned into almost an hour. That would have been
        > fine except for the light drizzle that was falling and every few
        > minutes seemed to be getting just a little bit heavier. Before long
        > it was a steady rain and then a torrential downpour. After a while
        > the cake was sincerely wet. That's when the words from MacArthur
        > Park popped into my head, and after that, the whole experience
        > became just a lot of fun. It took the whole cake experience into a
        > whole new realm.
        >
        > After we brought the cake in and were starting to serve it, I was
        > asked to take two pieces to our most beloved guests who had just
        > arrived and were waiting in the tent for Sri Chinmoy. As I handed a
        > piece to one of them, I said, "This is the moistest cake you will
        > ever eat!" He said, "You're looking rather moist yourself!"
        >
        > From a baker's point of view, it was kind of a disaster. But from a
        > spiritual point of view it was another of Guru's many triumphs.
        > People sat for hours in a downpour just to be in our Guru's presence
        > on that special day and we all shared a unique experience that will
        > remain with us for a long long time. I don't think any of us would
        > have missed it for the world.
        >
        > And in spite of being so moist, I thought the cake really tasted
        > pretty good!
        >
        > ­Sundari
      • ckapalika
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2004
          [From Chandika]

          Hi there, Madame Sundari.
          This is the first inspiration msg I ever replied too. But after all,
          it is YOU.
          Love.
          Chandika

          no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Tonight after our centre meditation here in San Francisco, Mayuri
          > gave me a present that brought back some of my funniest memories of
          > this past April Celebration. It was a T-shirt she had designed and
          > printed with a cake with green frosting, rain clouds and the words
          > of the song "MacArthur Park." For those of you too young to
          > remember, the chorus was:
          >
          > "MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
          > All the sweet green icing flowing down.
          > Someone left the cake out in the rain.
          > I don't think that I can take it
          > 'Cause it took so long to bake it
          > And I'll never have that recipe again.
          > Oh no!"
          >
          > Over the years we (the cake making teams) have had many hurdles to
          > contend with, but this year's weather on April 13th proved to be
          > the most challenging ever! Those who were there may remember seeing
          > 40 women holding cakes standing outside the gate as you walked by
          > them after taking prasad. Well, Guru was called away just at that
          > moment for what turned into almost an hour. That would have been
          > fine except for the light drizzle that was falling and every few
          > minutes seemed to be getting just a little bit heavier. Before long
          > it was a steady rain and then a torrential downpour. After a while
          > the cake was sincerely wet. That's when the words from MacArthur
          > Park popped into my head, and after that, the whole experience
          > became just a lot of fun. It took the whole cake experience into a
          > whole new realm.
          >
          > After we brought the cake in and were starting to serve it, I was
          > asked to take two pieces to our most beloved guests who had just
          > arrived and were waiting in the tent for Sri Chinmoy. As I handed a
          > piece to one of them, I said, "This is the moistest cake you will
          > ever eat!" He said, "You're looking rather moist yourself!"
          >
          > From a baker's point of view, it was kind of a disaster. But from a
          > spiritual point of view it was another of Guru's many triumphs.
          > People sat for hours in a downpour just to be in our Guru's presence
          > on that special day and we all shared a unique experience that will
          > remain with us for a long long time. I don't think any of us would
          > have missed it for the world.
          >
          > And in spite of being so moist, I thought the cake really tasted
          > pretty good!
          >
          > ­Sundari
        • icysuren
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2004
            It sure is great to hear you all had such a fun experience with the
            cakes.

            For me the experience was this: At the end of the whole cake program
            I picked up a garbage bag full of cakes that were too wet to
            consume, only to discover that the bag itself was too wet and heavy,
            and so it ripped open in the middle and out flowed the cakes.
            Putting the cakes back into the garbage turned out to involve some
            hands-on work, and I happened to be wearing my woolen finger-mittens
            at the time (yes, I know, stupidity knows no height). Oh, and by the
            way: The mittens didn't survive the experience.

            Seriously though, the cake experience was one of the many amusing
            incidents that turned a challenging day into a charming experience
            and a sweet memory (in its own way!).

            Suren

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, salil_wilson

          • prachar_1
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2004
              Dear Sundari and all cake-lovers!

              I clearly foresee that this new message-stream [Re: Someone Left the
              Cake Out] will surpass all previous contenders for the title of
              'most replied-to posting!' It may have a way to go before
              challenging 'Re: Question for the Women' but it's off to a
              rollicking start...

              (It doesn't look like being overtaken in turn by Matt's chess
              challenge to Suren - by the way Suren, where are you? Matt's chess
              board has been sitting here for days with one forlorn pawn lonely
              and exposed on the field of battle. Please, put him out of his
              suffering!)

              Perhaps this is because so many of us were there, and the outer and
              inner circumstances - the great celebration of April 13 marking Sri
              Chinmoy's momentous 40 years of service to the West, bringing with
              that the flood of deep feelings and memories of what this service
              has meant to each of us personally; compounded by the swelling
              crowd, chock-a-block full of close friends from all over the globe,
              several hundred of whom had just arrived that day, respectfully and
              excitedly jostling for a position with a 'view'; fitting in with the
              venue, itself housing an ocean of spiritual experiences, always
              surcharged with the vibration of intense aspiration; combined with
              the extraordinary outer events of the day, including a series of
              meetings with some outstanding world-figures and an historic sitar
              performance (to note just a few items); figuring in a performance
              from the weather-Gods which resembled someone very, very slowly and
              steadily opening up the tap on the cloud (there was only one cloud,
              and it was everywhere), over a period of about 8 hours; contexted of
              course by the very presence of our Guru, the one whose life and
              deeds the throng had assembled to celebrate - conspired to create a
              truly unforgettable occasion in every sense.

              So when the cake (finally) came, the moment was much, much more than
              simply being offered a serving of sodden dainty mush!

              I confess, when first offered this delicacy, I politely declined the
              offer (shame!). Almost immediately, however, realisation dawned that
              that was a stupid, churlish thing to do, as though I was turning my
              back on an entire universe of sweet possibilities! Remembering that
              life is short, and we are here to embrace opportunities that may
              present themselves in unexpected ways, I veritably seized upon the
              next little paper plate that veered within striking distance.

              And yes, Sundari, it was absolutely delicious (especially if you
              closed your eyes). It was delicious to the palate, and even more
              delicious to the heart, bringing a surge of joy that rebounds even
              now upon the merest reflection. For in that one surreal moment was
              summed up for me the quintessence of our path, and how we are
              singularly and collectively, so uniquely blessed.

              Is there any left?

              Prachar

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > I thought the cake tasted pretty good too!
              >
              > Maybe you should include that in the recipe.
              >
              > Something like - "Please let cake stand in rain for one hour or
              > until appropriately moist."
              >
              > Salil
              >

              > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sundari_one
              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > Tonight after our centre meditation here in San Francisco,
              > > Mayuri gave me a present that brought back some of my funniest
              > > memories of this past April Celebration. It was a T-shirt she
              > > had designed and printed with a cake with green frosting, rain
              > > clouds and the words of the song "MacArthur Park." For those of
              > > you too young to remember, the chorus was:
              > >
              > > "MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
              > > All the sweet green icing flowing down.
              > > Someone left the cake out in the rain.
              > > I don't think that I can take it
              > > 'Cause it took so long to bake it
              > > And I'll never have that recipe again.
              > > Oh no!"
              > >
              > > Over the years we (the cake making teams) have had many hurdles
              > > to contend with, but this year's weather on April 13th proved
              > > to be the most challenging ever! Those who were there may
              > > remember seeing 40 women holding cakes standing outside the gate
              > > as you walked by them after taking prasad. Well, Guru was called
              > > away just at that moment for what turned into almost an hour.
              > > That would have been fine except for the light drizzle that was
              > > falling and every few minutes seemed to be getting just a little
              > > bit heavier. Before long it was a steady rain and then a
              > > torrential downpour. After a while the cake was sincerely wet.
              > > That's when the words from MacArthur Park popped into my head,
              > > and after that, the whole experience became just a lot of fun.
              > > It took the whole cake experience into a whole new realm.
              > >
              > > After we brought the cake in and were starting to serve it, I
              > > was asked to take two pieces to our most beloved guests who had
              > > just arrived and were waiting in the tent for Sri Chinmoy. As I
              > > handed a piece to one of them, I said, "This is the moistest
              > > cake you will ever eat!" He said, "You're looking rather moist
              > > yourself!"
              > >
              > > From a baker's point of view, it was kind of a disaster. But
              > > from a spiritual point of view it was another of Guru's many
              > > triumphs. People sat for hours in a downpour just to be in our
              > > Guru's presence on that special day and we all shared a unique
              > > experience that will remain with us for a long long time. I
              > > don't think any of us would have missed it for the world.
              > >
              > > And in spite of being so moist, I thought the cake really tasted
              > > pretty good!
              > >
              > > -Sundari
            • anami2708
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2004
                Hi Sundari,

                the cake was as every year delicious, moistened with this special
                kind of compassion rain.

                It was really something. We all were enjoying it in a way - what
                else could we do?

                At one point Sri Chinmoy went up the stairs to meet in the house
                with his guests.

                Standing close to the stairs, I overheard what he said to Rupantar
                who held a big umbrella above him:

                "The outer heavy rain brings to the fore the inner strongest
                aspiration" - then he smiled a very childlike smile of joy.

                Anami
              • harmonyvision
                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2004
                  Wasn't MacArthur Park the breakaway hit for British actor Richard
                  Harris, star of the immortal classic, "A Man Called Horse"?

                  Please forgive me if I pen a couplet in the style of Sri Chinmoy:

                  The blue bird with the green cake
                  Wants to go where there is no rain!

                  no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Tonight after our centre meditation here in San Francisco, Mayuri
                  > gave me a present that brought back some of my funniest memories of
                  > this past April Celebration. It was a T-shirt she had designed and
                  > printed with a cake with green frosting, rain clouds and the words
                  > of the song "MacArthur Park." For those of you too young to
                  > remember, the chorus was:
                  >
                  > "MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
                  > All the sweet green icing flowing down.
                  > Someone left the cake out in the rain.
                  > I don't think that I can take it
                  > 'Cause it took so long to bake it
                  > And I'll never have that recipe again.
                  > Oh no!"
                  >
                  > Over the years we (the cake making teams) have had many hurdles to
                  > contend with, but this year's weather on April 13th proved to be
                  > the most challenging ever! Those who were there may remember seeing
                  > 40 women holding cakes standing outside the gate as you walked by
                  > them after taking prasad. Well, Guru was called away just at that
                  > moment for what turned into almost an hour. That would have been
                  > fine except for the light drizzle that was falling and every few
                  > minutes seemed to be getting just a little bit heavier. Before long
                  > it was a steady rain and then a torrential downpour. After a while
                  > the cake was sincerely wet. That's when the words from MacArthur
                  > Park popped into my head, and after that, the whole experience
                  > became just a lot of fun. It took the whole cake experience into a
                  > whole new realm.
                  >
                  > After we brought the cake in and were starting to serve it, I was
                  > asked to take two pieces to our most beloved guests who had just
                  > arrived and were waiting in the tent for Sri Chinmoy. As I handed a
                  > piece to one of them, I said, "This is the moistest cake you will
                  > ever eat!" He said, "You're looking rather moist yourself!"
                  >
                  > From a baker's point of view, it was kind of a disaster. But from a
                  > spiritual point of view it was another of Guru's many triumphs.
                  > People sat for hours in a downpour just to be in our Guru's presence
                  > on that special day and we all shared a unique experience that will
                  > remain with us for a long long time. I don't think any of us would
                  > have missed it for the world.
                  >
                  > And in spite of being so moist, I thought the cake really tasted
                  > pretty good!
                  >
                  > –Sundari
                • goldenboat27
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4, 2004
                    After a few weeks in which (due to server problems) I was
                    unable to post, I find my problem has been solved, and I can
                    post again! It's a miracle!

                    I've been looking at the Inspiration group, and wishing (on many
                    occasions) that I was able to reply. Now, I finally have posting
                    ability again - but what is everyone now talking about? The cake
                    that was left out in the rain on April 13!

                    What can I possibly add to that? In fact, after Sundari's initial
                    posting, what can anyone say about the topic? The cake was all
                    wet, but still really scrumptious. ("Scrumptious"?) And Prachar
                    makes a bold prediction that this will be the 'most replied-to
                    posting'!

                    Sorry, Prachar, but I'm not taking the bait! You won't find _me_
                    contributing in that silly message-stream! No way...

                    Oh, hang on...

                    Mark

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, prachar_1

                  • dharmaja
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 4, 2004
                      I do not want Prachar's prediction to go unfulfilled, so I am adding
                      my own true-to-life cake adventure, which is completely true, no
                      embellishments or exaggerations.

                      Sri Chinmoy was visiting in San Francisco, and all the students were
                      gathered with him at the restaurant that used to be on Church
                      Street.

                      With 20-20 hindsight, I now realise that I should have given proper
                      value to the experience of hanging out with a Realised Soul.

                      Ah, but the Universe was looking out for me, and I was about to get
                      a good lesson!

                      I felt restless and hungry. So I went outside, and walked a few
                      doors down the street to the Just Desserts restaurant, and bought a
                      small chocolate cake, which they put in the traditional pink box for
                      me. "Small" means, like, maybe, eight inches in diameter.

                      I wolfed down approximately one third of the cake (30 years ago, I
                      was capable of such Himalayan feats). Then, with my happy pink box
                      greedily and firmly grasped by my now-sugar-powered hands, I
                      strolled merrily back to our group.

                      After a few minutes, the function broke up, and everyone was
                      departing. I had brought several people in my car, so I was
                      responsible for finding all of them, and taking them to their
                      respective hotels.

                      I gathered everyone together, made sure that everybody had their
                      seatbelt on, we meditated on protection for a minute, then I drove
                      off.

                      There was only one TINY problem: in getting into the car, I had left
                      the pink box on top of the roof of the vehicle.

                      As I turned from Church Street onto Market Street, I heard a
                      distinct "thumping" noise.

                      Instinctively, I looked in my rearview mirror, just in time to see
                      the pink box bounce off the trunk of the car, and onto the street.

                      Fortunately, God saved me from any anxiety about rescuing the box,
                      because as it fell onto the street it was IMMEDIATELY run over by
                      the front wheel of a HUGE truck, irrevocably squashing the pink box.
                      What was previously a three-dimensional sugar-bomb had now embraced
                      two-dimensional oblivion.

                      Ah, I thought, the law of karma can be exquisite in its poetic
                      beauty and simplicity!

                      Dharmaja
                      Sacramento, California