Opportunity Divine And Necessity Supreme

  • sunamitalim
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2004
      [From Sunamita]

      Dear Shardul,

      Your soulful tribute to Sri Chinmoy's 40th Anniversary in the West
      is eloquent testimony to how we, his students, deeply and gratefully
      feel, for Eternity.

      Guru's talk to Brown University on October 4, 1969 is recorded in
      his book, "My Ivy League Leaves," and online:

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/ivy-league-leaves/10

      "If a disciple can establish conscious and constant oneness with the
      Master, then he has done the right thing, absolutely the right
      thing. If the Master has established his conscious and constant
      oneness with the disciple, then the Master has also done the right
      thing. Only when the disciple's oneness with the Master is perfect
      can the disciple work with the Master. When the Master's constant
      oneness with the disciple is perfect, then only can the Master work
      for the disciple. When the disciple works with the Master devotedly,
      the Mission of the Supreme for the Supreme begins. When the Master
      works for the disciple, the realisation of the Ultimate
      Transcendental Truth begins to dawn on the disciple. When the
      disciple works with the Master, he has to work with purest devotion.
      When the Master works for the disciple, he has to work with soulful
      and unreserved concern. The disciple has to feel that the Master is
      the Light of his own heart. The Master has to feel that the disciple
      is the strength of his own arms."

      The deep faith of this connection is boundless, and one that is
      blessed with unconditional love and joy. Sri Chinmoy continues:

      "When the disciple feels that his Master is the Light of his own
      heart, he is bound to be happy within and without. When the Master
      feels that his disciple is the strength of his own arms, his joy
      knows no bounds."

      In reading this talk entitled "Opportunity Divine and Necessity
      Supreme," I'm struck by how practical this connection is, blossoming
      beautifully for each of us. In Smarana's post, #3886, he's all
      admiration for Arpan's love of running, even after three decades. In
      truth though, isn't this a compelling example of how the Guru is
      manifesting through a consciously devoted disciple?

      Constant joy through constant self-transcendence satisfies even the
      most demanding of perfectionists--and therein lies the beauty of our
      eternal connection with our Master. The stronger our capacities
      unfold to satisfy even the most demanding of perfectionists, the
      more we yearn to be better than we can ever be! And yes, it gets
      more exciting with the Supreme blessing us with more challenges to
      surmount. So, how can we not be inspired to continue with the purest
      of sanctified motivations, as opportunities keep looming up? Sri
      Chinmoy writes:

      "Opportunity is the human aspiration to live by in the outer world.
      Again, opportunity is the divine realisation to live for in the
      inner world. When I have an opportunity to know more, shall I use it
      to know others more, or shall I try to know myself more? I wish to
      say that I shall do both. I shall use the opportunity to know myself
      more and also to know others more. By knowing myself more, I realise
      God the Creator. By knowing others more, I realise God the Creation.
      By knowing myself more, I realise God the Breath. By knowing others
      more, I realise God the Life. By knowing myself more, I realise God
      the Unity. By knowing others more, I realise God the Multiplicity."

      Sri Chinmoy offers these quotes:

      "No great man ever complains of want of opportunity." - Ralph Waldo
      Emerson

      "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis
      Bacon

      Sri Chinmoy continues:

      "A spiritual man not only finds opportunities but also creates more
      and more opportunities constantly. His opportunity is composed of
      his inspiration-light and his aspiration-height. With his
      opportunity he realises God, he serves God and he fulfils God."

      In closing, Guru issues the ultimate divine challenge:

      "Opportunity in the spiritual life means to do and to be. What can I
      do? I can totally identify myself with each fleeting moment and
      offer myself at the Feet of God for His use in His eternal Time.
      What can I be? I can be God's Dream-Boat. He will be my life's
      eternal Pilot. Him to serve is my only awakened and illumined
      dream."

      Thank you very much Shardul, for your own outstanding inspiration! I
      look forward to getting a copy of your book soon.

      Take care,
      Sunamita

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shardul_dillicar

    • shardul_dillicar
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2004
        Dear Sunamita,

        Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. Your latest addition
        to the forum and the subsequent links are most illumining and deeply
        moving. The quotes and comments on opportunity are timely.

        I remember when our Canadian sister Nivedita passed away in the late
        1980's, she sent a message to us via Sri Chinmoy from the soul's
        world. The general drift was that we should not waste a single
        moment during this lifetime while our Master was on earth and that
        we should remember that we have a unprecedented opportunity before
        us. And now with the more recent departure of our dear Subarata, we
        get similar messages and themes. How easy it is to forget the
        importance of this very short span of years before us and how
        crucial it is to try hard to move forward while we have Sri
        Chinmoy's direct guidance. Historically, it is the spiritual masters
        that have always reminded mankind of who we are and what we are
        capable of. Their every step, every move and every word are a
        blessing for all humanity.

        Our great good fortune is that we are charged with the honour of
        carrying something of our Master's message to the world at large.
        When I was a child, I was spellbound by the stories of Christ and
        his disciples. The idea that one could spend time with such a
        person, to hear words from the lips of an illumined man and to
        experience the adventures that they had together. We get the same
        picture when reading The Gosple of Sri Ramakrishna or the
        Mahabharata. And here and now we are fortunate enough to be with Sri
        Chinmoy and have this sublime opportunity of participating in his
        mission - what Joy!

        Another memory that often comes to my mind, and that your posting
        refreshes in me now, is of when I first started meditating in
        Adelaide and was considering becoming Sri Chinmoy's student. My view
        of what I considered to be a spiritual path then was one of sitting
        around meditating alot and leading a somewhat sedentary life of
        seclusion from the world. It bothered me a little that this might be
        my fate, because I loved the action of life. However, I could not
        deny the feeling that I had in my heart that there was something
        very special about the Sri Chinmoy Centre and that all would be
        revealed in time. Boy am I glad that I listened to my heart on that
        occasion!

        Over the years I have learned from Sri Chinmoy's example and from
        the experiences that I have had through the various Centre
        activities, that the two realities of action and stillness must go
        hand in hand. The life of meditation and contemplation does belong
        in the same arena as the life of work and practicality. One feeds
        the other and they are therefore interdependent in this modern
        world. The greatest example I have ever seen of this synthesis is
        Sri Chinmoy himself. His profuse creative output and the dynamic
        force generated by his vision and activities are only matched by the
        beauty of his all-pervading poise and tranquil serenity.

        The marriage of these two seemingly opposing realities are our great
        challenge and perfect opportunity, and we are very fortunate indeed
        to have such a wonderful role-model and guiding-light in Sri
        Chinmoy. I feel this way not only for us, his students, but for all
        of humanity.

        "To work is to sacrifice: this is a human experience. To work is to
        become: this is a divine experience. To work is to be perfect: this
        is a supreme experience." - Sri Chinmoy

        http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-core-india-light/
        part4/19

        "In order to become an expert in any walk of life, we must needs
        work very hard. We also must know that no sincere effort will be in
        vain. Each and every sincere effort will be crowned with success, of
        course, at God's own choice Hour." - Sri Chinmoy

        http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-core-india-light/
        part2/59

        With Gratitude ... Shardul.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sunamitalim