OT - Mexico's May 5 Holiday

  • dharmaja
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2004
      Dear Family,

      Those of you residing on the east coast of the U.S. have probably
      heard of Hellman's mayonnaise.

      But you probably don't know that back in 1912 Hellman's mayonnaise
      was manufactured in England.

      And you can't even imagine what connection this might have with
      Mexico's May 5th holiday.

      In fact, the "Titanic" was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment
      scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the
      next port of call for the great ship after New York City.

      Mexicans were crazy about the stuff. The Mexican people were eagerly
      awaiting delivery and were disconsolate at the loss. So much so that
      they declared a national day of mourning which they still observe
      today.

      It is known, of course, as ... Sinko de Mayo.

      Profuse apologies,

      D.
    • nayaknayaknayak
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2004
        Hi, Dharmaja,

        Your "Mayo" joke draws our "nays."

        Just kidding and keeping the jokes going.

        Nayak

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dharmaja