triathlon for kids

  • transformationdance <yahoo@natabara.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2003
      One thing that amazed me was to see so many kids competing. On the first morning of the Self-Transcendence Triathlon Festival a series of starts for primary age kids was held, and there were a lot of them.

      While Canberra is quite well suited for triathon training, I was surprised at how many kids were seasoned triathletes! Maybe living in New York has kept me from seeing kids here compete in triathlons, but these kids were being let out of school and competing under their school names just like a typical cross country meet.

      These children were real troopers because it POURED rain to the point of having 2 inches of water at the SHALLOWEST parts of the ground. The chute to start the run was a 4-inch deep puddle! The kids never complained and seemed to be having great fun.

      Then in the afternoon the secondary (high school) ages competed, and how I wish I was in the shape these kids are in. The triathlon culture in Australia is quite impressive, again with schools competing and school coaches out there encouraging them. Of course parents showed up, unfortunately some in suits standing in the mud... Still having fun cheering their kids on.

      The enjoyment meter was certainly running high that day. I have heard about the success of the Sri Chinmoy Triathlons in Australia, and it was a real blessing to see and experience it in person.

      One last note, I'm told the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team held Australia's first triathlon, so the tradition and momentum is quite historic.