Listening to music during a run

  • alex_syberia
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
      I know that during a run it is better to develop force of
      concentration. The general opinion - hearing of music prevents
      concentration during a run.

      But what if I listen to music of Sri Chinmoy?

      It is possible to use easy flash - player [Walkman?] of small size
      and weight.

      Or nevertheless, is it better not to listen to music while running?

      I practice reading of prayers and poems, but when you run a
      marathon, after 13 miles all is so hard, and [the spiritual force
      does not remain] on anything. Probably the voice of Sri Chinmoy
      could offer support at such a moment.

      In Heart-Oneness
      Alexandr(Syberia)
    • projjwal27
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
        Hi Alex

        don't give too much importance what the general opinion says. If you
        want to listen to Sri Chinmoy's music while running then do it!!!
        There is nothing wrong with it - on the contrary! You can always do
        what you heart tells you to do and what gives you inner joy.

        Projjwal
        Germany

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, alex_syberia
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I know that during a run it is better to develop force of
        > concentration. The general opinion - hearing of music prevents
        > concentration during a run.
        >
        > But what if I listen to music of Sri Chinmoy?
        >
        > It is possible to use easy flash - player [Walkman?] of small size
        > and weight.
        >
        > Or nevertheless, is it better not to listen to music while running?
        >
        > I practice reading of prayers and poems, but when you run a
        > marathon, after 13 miles all is so hard, and [the spiritual force
        > does not remain] on anything. Probably the voice of Sri Chinmoy
        > could offer support at such a moment.
        >
        > In Heart-Oneness
        > Alexandr(Syberia)
      • arpan_deangelo
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
          I generally cannot listen to or concentrate on any kind of music
          during a race. But the longer and slower the race, the easier it may
          be to do so. Of course, spiritual music is generally preferable as
          it seems to me it would be less likely to drain your energy by
          lowering your consiousness. I even tried during a few multiday races
          to use a walkman. It did not last long, as the complexity of dealing
          with problems in the tape or player and deciding what to listen to
          and then take time to search for other things was too much for me to
          handle in that state of mind.

          Some other runners seem to have no problem with it though. You
          should experiment with it yourself. Would think the lighter and
          simpler the better. An 'ipod' type of MP3 player where you do not
          have moving parts nor do you have to change any music tapes or CDs
          would be the ideal thing to use.

          I have also practised songs and poems during training runs, but when
          it comes to racing, I find it much easier to get energy from a
          silent mind or very little sensory input. There is nothing wrong or
          weird about that, I feel, for what it's worth. My experience may be
          radically altered if I run the 3100 this year. Then I will give a
          whole new perspective on that topic and life itself I can imagine.

          Gratefully,
          Arpan

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I know that during a run it is better to develop force of
          > concentration. The general opinion - hearing of music prevents
          > concentration during a run.
          >
          > But what if I listen to music of Sri Chinmoy?
          >
          > It is possible to use easy flash - player [Walkman?] of small size
          > and weight.
          >
          > Or nevertheless, is it better not to listen to music while running?
          >
          > I practice reading of prayers and poems, but when you run a
          > marathon, after 13 miles all is so hard, and [the spiritual force
          > does not remain] on anything. Probably the voice of Sri Chinmoy
          > could offer support at such a moment.
          >
          > In Heart-Oneness
          > Alexandr(Syberia)
        • matt_boulton73
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
            Hi Alex,

            Let me just say that if you are interested in ultra-running, music
            can definitely play a very big role. The mind can, unfortunately,
            get incredibly bored with something that is intensely repetitive,
            such as going around and around and around and around and around the
            course. You can forget about developing concentration when the mind
            just wants out! This is where music can help; it gives the mind
            something else to think about, or, if you're very lucky, it can help
            you to meditate. Sri Chinmoy's flute music, can, as you know, be
            very soothing. Or musicians playing dynamic arrangements of Sri
            Chinmoy's music can give you energy. I would go so far as to say
            that for any race that is longer than 24 hours, music is
            indispensable. (I personally would love to get one of those funky
            Apple ipod players for running with; but alas, right now I fear my
            budget only extends to a new cassette-player walkman, or, if I'm
            really lucky a disc player. You can get mp3 disc players, in fact I
            own one, but it skips if you try to run with it. If anyone knows if
            you can get a reliable non-skip version of this, let me know!)

            Matt Boulton