"Science and Spirituality"-Harmony Vision, where are you?

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi, everyone! Some of you might have followed an interesting
      exchange between Harmoyvision and myself a few weeks ago. Subject:
      the heart vs. the mind. I feel I learned a lot from that exchange.
      It opened my eyes to some issues, like caring more for the rest of
      the world.

      Anyhow, yesterday I found this talk while waiting for my meal at the
      Smile of the Beyond, and I thought of sharing it with you all. I am
      always amazed at how Sri Chinmoy combines poetry and prose. I call
      it poetic prose.

      It is a style that is very flexible, almost elastic in its variety
      of expression, and it enables Sri Chinmoy to illumine any subject
      matter in a varied way, combining definitions of concepts as well as
      metaphors and inner dialogues which bring the subject matter closer
      to our heart, through our identification, which is elicited by his
      style itself.

      By the way, Harmonyvision, I enjoyed your post on The Mother
      recently. Enjoy!

      Science And Spirituality
      Hunter College, New York, N.Y.
      March 6, 1970

      Man's scientific and spiritual achievements are the conscious
      inspiration-light and aspiration-might of the Divine's urge toward
      two goals: the realisation of the body's countless necessities and
      infinite capacities, and the manifestation of the soul's
      transcendental vision of the Beyond here on earth, in the heart and
      immediacy of today.

      Science is that precious thing on earth which is pushed forward by a
      glowing imagination and pulled forward by its own growing
      experience. Spirituality is that precious thing on earth which is
      carried within by fulfilling aspiration and later brought to the
      fore, where it can become consciously one with God the Field of
      Experience, God the Experience and God the Experiencer.

      Within our living memory, we have seen science advancing very fast,
      while human happiness has been receding at an alarming rate. Today's
      world is seeing a flickering candle flame of spirituality, but
      tomorrow's world will be flooded with the light of spirituality,
      destined and decreed.

      Science right now deals mostly with the material world. What is the
      material world, after all? It is the world that does not believe in
      the possibility and inevitability of a divine life. Spirituality
      right now deals mostly with the inner world. What is the inner
      world? The inner world is the world that says that the possibility
      of a divine life on earth is undoubtedly unreal today, but tomorrow
      it will be possible, the day after it will be practicable and just
      the day after that it will be inevitable.

      Science has the capacity to show mankind the full development of the
      mental life. Spirituality has the capacity to show mankind the
      possibility and inevitability of the life beyond the mind, the
      supramental life.

      The outer progress and world-discovery swiftly follow the fruitful
      imagination in the world of science. The inner progress and
      self-discovery gladly follow the soulful aspiration in the life of
      the world within, the world of spirituality.

      Science and modern life are simply indispensable to each other. The
      modern life is the eye; science is the power of vision.
      Spirituality, and the future life of mankind will be indispensable
      to each other. The future life of mankind will be the fully awakened
      consciousness, and spirituality will be its guiding and fulfilling
      soul.

      Science itself has become an art, and this art must now stand
      alongside all other arts. No art can ever have its fullest
      expression in the modern world without the aid of science.
      Spirituality is the supreme art of our nature-transformation. God
      the Supreme Artist uses spirituality to divinely reveal to the world
      man's embodied divine Reality and transcendental Truth.

      To fulfil his practical needs, man bitterly cries to science. To
      fulfil his personal inner needs, man helplessly cries to
      spirituality.

      The somber despair of ruthless destruction and the matchless ecstasy
      of the outer, human fulfillment have a common friend: science. The
      most hopeful certainty of a new and pure creation and the
      life-energising, life-nourishing, life-transforming and
      life-fulfilling delight of the inner and divine fulfillment have a
      common friend: spirituality.

      Science and spirituality must be united. They need each other.
      Without the one, the other is incomplete, almost meaningless.
      Together they are not only supremely complete but also divinely
      meaningful. Science is the Body of God. Spirituality is the Soul of
      God. Science is also God the Body. Spirituality, is also God the
      Soul. God the Body needs God the Soul to realise Himself, His
      Individuality, God the Soul needs God the Body to fulfil Himself,
      His Personality.

      God's Soul and God the Soul say to God in silence, "We loved You
      before and we shall love You ever."

      God's Body and God the Body voice forth, "God, we love You now and
      this love of ours will forever last."

      In the world of Night and Fight, Science says to Spirituality: "You
      fool! You are a perfect nuisance!"

      In the world of Night and Fight, Spirituality says to Science, "You
      rascal! It is beneath my dignity to speak to a dead stone!"

      In the world of Light and Delight, Science says to Spirituality:
      "Brother, I need your Wisdom."

      In the world of Light and Delight, Spirituality says to Science,
      "Sister, I need your capacity."

      Sri Chinmoy

      Joy to all!-Kamalakanta