Further Recollections: Guru and Restaurants

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2014

      One of my friends in the Centre, who is also Jewish, shared with me that he read in the newspaper recently about an Orthodox Chasidic man who has never eaten out even once in his entire life.  He eats only at home, or in the home of his family or friends.  He has never eaten at a restaurant.  A reporter once asked him why he refused to go to restaurants and he replied that he didn’t want other people to look at his food.  Food was something sacred and should only be eaten in the presence of people you deeply love and trust.  My friend told me that Guru feels the same way.  He much prefers to eat food that is prepared by his spiritual children that he knows extremely well and is comfortable with their consciousness.  On the other hand, he does eat out sometimes, but he usually goes to the same places, like the Fame Diner (which no longer exists).

      Once Dr. Kumar told me that he himself never eats out, either.  He goes from home to work and then back home.  That’s all.

      One funny note: One man at the Fame Diner was consistently so rude to Guru and the disciples!  There was no reason for it.  So, the disciples sent complaints to the manager and then the man became, in Guru’s words “The height of concern.”  He became sweeter than the sweetest.  Guru said that these people are not even practicing yoga or spirituality, but they can change their nature.  When Light descends, these people can change overnight.  He added that, in our case, we pray, we meditate, we break our heads, and nothing happens!

      I personally like eating out from time to time.  But I also like cooking my own food.  I find cooking Ethiopian recipes in particular quite enjoyable.

      --Mahiruha