The importance of spiritual writing

  • dsiegel_smiling
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2004
      Greetings to all who interact with this group, whether it be
      a "lurker" who reads the varied messages that spontaneously appear
      on the site daily, or an active poster who is contributing quotes,
      thoughts, and feeling, be it heartily or infrequently.

      When I originally discovered this amazing development in the Sri
      Chinmoy Centre, that is, the Sri Chinmoy Inspiration site, I
      immediately felt compelled to begin writing again. I had not taken
      to the keyboard in many years, although I had been touched by an
      inner urge to document my experiences in the Centre since my
      spiritual life began.

      I first wrote a personal journal of my life in 1994, when I
      discovered the Centre. Up to that time, my life experiences had
      left me completely unfulfilled. I thus sought out a spiritual path
      in an effort to discover the meaning of true inner satisfaction. I
      believed at that time that in the future I would want to reflect on
      the progress that I had made. Thus, I took notes of my present life
      and environment.

      However, as time passed, I lost the enthusiasm to write regularly.
      I took a few notes from time to time, but did not actively seek out
      the inner writer which I knew existed within me. I didn't realize
      how important that part of my life was until I first posted on this
      site on August 6, 2003. I have felt an increasing sense of
      commitment towards this site ever since.

      News of Sri Chinmoy's activities has always been a source of joy and
      inspiration to his students around the world. This simple dynamic
      is accurately reproduced in any spiritual group, and for that
      matter, almost any organization where people gather with common
      interests. For many years, I went through dry periods in this
      respect, whereby the activities that took place in New York and
      elsewhere did not make their way to my eager ears. This experience
      is amplified in the satellite centres that are located in remote
      regions of the world, where communication can be difficult and
      expensive.

      Unsure of the dynamics of the site and the scope of the audience I
      was writing to, I proceeded gradually. My first report from New
      York was in the midst of Sri Chinmoy's August birthday celebration.
      I wrote a list of words that I felt conveyed the experiences of
      being present at that life illumining gathering.

      As time went on, doors began to open. I started to view the forum
      as a way to convey my experiences with Sri Chinmoy in a clear,
      direct fashion, combining a journalistic approach with my own
      thoughts and feelings on the varied and inspired moments that took
      place with him.

      On October 23, 2003, I posted the first in a series of writings
      documenting the second of Sri Chinmoy's trips to Europe that year.
      While the fast-paced nature of the trip made accurate, real-time
      reporting difficult, I took copious notes as each day passed, then
      edited and enhanced them upon returning home. The messages that I
      subsequently received from readers around the world shocked me.
      Apparently, the global audience of this site was eagerly awaiting
      any news of Sri Chinmoy's activities. It was obvious as to why; so
      many important meetings, events and gatherings had taken place, yet
      most were not privy to be able to attend in person. The future of
      the site was thus revealed.

      I have always felt a historical necessity to document spiritual
      living. In the same way that students of spiritual teachers of the
      past have an important place in history, we can feel that our
      offerings here and elsewhere will contribute to the collective body
      of Sri Chinmoy's total manifestation. As a student of Sri Chinmoy
      who is approaching his tenth anniversary in May, I feel a deeper
      commitment to broaden and explore my limited range of writing
      capacity.

      My goal with this message is to inspire all those who are reading to
      consider offering your experiences with Sri Chinmoy to the public
      via this forum, both at the present moment and the next time he
      comes to your town. I am sure that many of you will see him this
      year; the anticipation of the meeting between a spiritual teacher
      and his student can only be felt and not described. In light of the
      future which will readily transmute to the present, let us consider
      this site as a historical archive and a place where those not able
      to be physically present at the events can relish in the delight of
      the spirit, communicated in the form of the written word. Those who
      have never experienced the fulfillment of daily spiritual living
      will surely benefit from your offering.

      The standard of posts, in my humble opinion, has grown tremendously
      since this site's inception. I enjoy reading them more than ever.
      Again, of particular interest to so many of us are the reports from
      the meditations and gatherings taking place within our organization
      even now. I am sure all of those who read the forum directly or who
      get the messages in the form of print-outs from others will deeply
      appreciate the time that New York students invest in an inspired
      offering. We are not expecting an essay! A brief recap of events
      will serve a tremendous purpose, and will satisfy the thousands of
      us around the globe that follow the activities of Sri Chinmoy with
      zeal and eagerness. And multiple reports from different writers
      further serves and enhances the feeling that we, the readers, took
      part in the events ourselves.

      Sri Chinmoy has become, for so many of us, a beacon of hope in an
      age of difficulty. As we look to figures in all walks of life to
      inspire us – be it an athlete, an artist, or anyone who serves
      others – we observe in Sri Chinmoy's life a genuine quality of self-
      giving. We learn how to become greater givers ourselves.
      Ultimately, we achieve our immediate goals and discover how to grow
      into higher ones.

      Sri Chinmoy is certainly not the only one who does this; both he and
      his students have sought out and discovered those who are performing
      good works for humanity for our own inspiration. We offer a unique
      awards ceremony to celebrate their achievements. Sri
      Chinmoy's "Lifting up the World with a Oneness-Heart" program
      recently surpassed its 7,000th participant.

      I would like to conclude by thanking "harmonyvision" for his
      engaging, thought-provoking messages. It is clear that he has taken
      a deep interest in the forum and is utilizing his time in a very
      productive way, one that benefits all who frequent this site.

      With utmost gratitude,

      David Siegel
    • sunamitalim
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 29, 2004
        Touche, Dave! I, too, recently discovered this site about 7 weeks
        ago. It was in answer to my prayers "to find out more news." I was
        immediately moved inwardly to start contributing.

        This forum is definitely engaging, and a rewarding daily read.
        Additionally, I go online to read the priceless heritage of Sri
        Chinmoy's books now out of print, but easily accessible by clicking
        on this link:
        http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/

        Yes, we do need to be accurate! This chatty venue may sometimes lull
        Centre members into posting stuff that is not reported correctly.
        Thus, an ounce of prevention....

        I'd also like to suggest readers take time to ingest the more
        spiritual postings [like your recent account of Guru's 30th
        Anniversary Esraj Concert] to better assimilate their full import.
        And to keep re-reading them for inspiration.

        As Aesop's tale of The Town Mouse & The Country Mouse tells us, "A
        crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety."
        I'm not suggesting postings are 'crumbs' but I am emphasizing the
        need to give ourselves time to read and re-read points that are
        arresting, to better absorb their nuances, while reflecting on them.
        And also, our situations and perceptions change daily, so insights
        alter and modify, too.

        The main reason many postings resonate strongly with me is best
        summed up by this poem of Sri Chinmoy's:

        When you are right,
        Everything around you is right,
        Because the beautiful flow
        That is inside your heart
        Has the capacity to spread
        Its fragrance of oneness-light
        Around you.

        Many thanks again for posting,
        Sunamita

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dsiegel_smiling

      • nayak_ltp
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004
          I agree with Dave that people should just plunge in and post here. We
          are not desperate for material, so this is just an invitation to
          overcome shyness or hesitation and utter a few words for your friends
          to hear. You can see from the outpouring that the site is nicely
          humming along, but there is plenty of room for more. To me, a new
          posting from a new person is a thrill. It means another friend.

          Yours,

          Nayak