Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: Flowers and Bus Rides

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2013

        In the old days of the Centre, and by that I mean the early seventies and on into the eighties, it was common for Guru to go on bus rides with his disciples.  He would often take them on bus tours to Washington D.C. or to Woodstock, and sometimes even as far away as Ohio.  Before Guru got on the bus, a disciple would always place a nice flower on Guru’s seat to keep the seat pure and also to indicate that it was in fact Guru’s seat.  I think they would usually place a gardenia on that particular spot.

      One day, during a bus trip, a young woman asked the Master if he would kindly give a spiritual name to the gardenia as he had given names to various other flowers.  Guru meditated for a few minutes and gave the gardenia the name  “Compassion-flooded Eye in Action.”

      What a beautiful name!  And how appropriate for the beautiful and sanctified gardenia flower!

      “I am sure,
       What you need
       At every moment
       Is to breathe the purity
       Of your
       Heart-blossom-fragrance.”

      From Sri Chinmoy’s book “I Am Sure”, published by Agni Press, 1992.

      --Mahiruha

    • doris.cott
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2013

        As always, thank you for your wonderful recollections on our master, Mahiruha.

        I was stunned when I read your message. For a month or so I am having a gardenia plant and it is in my daily loving care. It's flowers are really very fragrant and am looking forward to see the birth of many more soon for them to fill the cold November air with their sweeter than the sweetest fragrance. How I wish I knew the names Guru gave to other flowers! I know he composed a few songs about flowers and vegetables.

        Doris

      • patanga_cordeiro
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 18, 2013
          Hi Mahiruha!

          This is such a cute story!

          The Gardenia has been my long time favourite flower. Last week I just planted one in my house and just today I have one gardenia flower on my work desk, perfuming all the room - even as I write.

          You made me so happy by sharing that Guru gave it a spiritual name!

          Patanga