Wisdom-Sea: Be not lonely

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2013

      Here's a poem that I've quoted before, it is from the Wings of Light, by Sri Chinmoy:

      Be not lonely

      Like the night.

      Be lovely

      Like the moon.

      Be not expensive

      Like a diamond-sun.

      Be expansive

      Like the silence-light.

      This poem is one of Guru's most precious gems that almost challenges any kind of interpretation.  It's like a vision encased in human language, but the language is just the frame.

      I think this poem deals with two kinds of loneliness: the loneliness of the poor and destitute, and the loneliness of the great and successful.  In both cases the answer or the cure to loneliness is self-giving.  If you are lonely like night, you think that you have nothing to give.  You have no way of reaching out to people.  But there are always things you can do to serve the world in some small way.  I have to remind myself of this message, that I do have positive, constructive ways I can spend my time.  Winter brings out the brooding Midwesterner in me.  But, by thinking of the beauty of the moon, and reminding myself that I can be like the moon in self-giving and quiet joy, I can conquer my loneliness.

      Great people can also be lonely.  Success can be isolating, too.  Here, the poet is telling successful people not to be "expensive"- don't make it impossible for other people to approach you.  I think Guru has a poem where he says that material success often takes us away from others.  We become like expensive diamonds, beautiful to look at but also aloof and alone.  So, break open the diamond-sun, let the light out and spread: "Be expansive like the silence-light."  If you are outwardly successful, shining like a diamond-sun, people might even be afraid to look at you, they will avoid you because you are too great.  But someone like Sri Chinmoy, who embodied Silence-Light in infinite measure, had no trouble mixing with so-called ordinary people.  He rode the bus and the subway, he shopped at National Wholesale Liquidators just like I did, he accepted disciples from all walks of life, including many who were totally destitute.  Material wealth has nothing to do with spiritual development.  He was the most accessible spiritual Master I have ever met, or have even read about. He embodied the full meaning of this poem, in his quiet, radiating and all-encompassing love.

      --Mahiruha

    • priyadarshan44
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2013

        I always look forward to your recollection, and your reflections on Sri Chinmoy's poems and poetry.

        Thank you!

        Priyadarshan

        PS: As in the golden days of the swashbuckling Assistant Moderator, we shall challenge to duel whomever will call Mahiruha a "brooding Midwesterner". If anything, he is a musing Easterner. Or perhaps, an eastern Muse?