Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: "The Supreme in me"

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2013

      I remember a meditation I attended in the late 1990s.  It was held at PS 117.  Guru started the meditation by walking around the room in a very deep, contemplative consciousness.  At one point, Guru said to us, “Do not offer your devotion to me, but to the Supreme in me.”

      I’ve often wondered what Guru meant by that.  I mean, if you take your Master as a God-realised soul, then does your devotion not automatically go to God?

      I am not in a position to interpret Guru’s words with authority!  But, I am free to speculate.

      Maybe when the Master said to remember the Supreme in him, he was trying to remind us that he, the Guru, is not the body.  He is the soul.  Guru had a very profound spiritual vibration.  But, maybe some of his students were not always able to feel his spirituality.  Maybe some people only came to meditation once a month and took it more as a social setting than as an opportunity to make really fast spiritual progress.  Perhaps Guru wanted to remind these people that they should think of the Supreme more, and also to try to see the right relation between the spiritual Master and God.  Some of his students maybe saw Guru as a very nice person, and nothing more.  So, Guru was trying to inspire these people to try to see God in him.  He was not asking them to see him as God!  Not at all!  But maybe he felt he could be of more help to them if they could feel, deep inside the Master’s heart, the living existence of God.  If those people could offer their love and devotion to God in the Master, then that would help them to cultivate a higher and deeper spirituality.

      Again, there may have been other disciples who did feel and perceive Sri Chinmoy’s inner heights.  But, he wanted to remind them that just feeling what the Master is, is not necessarily enough.  In other words, a true Master wants his disciples to come up to his own standard of consciousness.  The only way they can do this is by maintaining their aspiration for the Supreme.  So, by asking them to see the Supreme in him, he was telling them, “Yes, you have recognized me as a spiritual Master.  But you should try to go beyond that mere recognition and strive for the highest Goal- God-realisation.  Only if you constantly remember the Supreme in me will you be able to transcend yourself in an integral way.”

      So, I think the Master was addressing both categories of disciples, and giving a different, but totally appropriate message to each.

      Here’s a poem I like from Sri Chinmoy’s immortal collection, “The Golden Boat”:

      A REAL GURU

       Who is a real Guru?
       A real Guru is he
       Who does not call you stupid,