Recollections: "I will declare your liberation"

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2013

      Soon after my friend “Tom” had joined the Centre, he had his palm read by two different readers.  One was a disciple of Sri Chinmoy (Guru does not generally encourage his students to indulge in palm reading, tarot, astrology, etc.) and the other palm reader was a “professional”.  They both told him the same thing: that his life-line indicated that he would die at the age of forty-two.  Tom approached Guru with this frightening news and Guru said, “I will declare your liberation when you are forty-two.”

      This all happened when Tom was in his late twenties.  When his forty-first birthday rolled around, Tom reminded Guru of his promise that he would declare his liberation the following year.  Guru said drily, “I am ready to declare if you are ready to receive.”  That put an end to that conversation!

      Needless to say, Tom is still with us.  I think he should tell this story every year on his birthday!  (He’s way past forty-two now)

      --Mahiruha