Recollections On Sri Chinmoy: Lord Shiva and Lord Buddha

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2013

      I think Sri Chinmoy went to Japan in 2006.  As always he visited the Kamakura Buddha.  He told us that as he was meditating on the Lord Buddha, he saw “my Lord Shiva.”  He saw Buddha as Shiva.  It is interesting that in his beautiful song for the Buddha, “Namo, namo Buddha Deber” he includes so many epithets for the Lord Shiva: Ashutosh (he who is quickly satisfied), Bholanath (the simple God), Shib (Shiva).

      Of course we also know Guru’s beautiful song “Like the Supreme Lord Shiva, I shall remain in the self-forgetfulness trance”, and in every depiction of the Lord Buddha, he is in deep, deep meditation.

      I took a friend to see a life-size statue of the Lord Buddha in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  It is in the Chinese hall, in one of the galleries.  The statue, as I said, is life-size, sitting in meditation with a faint smile playing on his face.  It is one of the most beautiful and sacred statues I have seen.  It possesses an absolutely living consciousness.  Interestingly, it is seated on a grey square in the middle of the room; statues of Buddhist saints stand in the four corners.

      Please see:

      http://www.srichinmoysongs.com/song/view/namo-buddha-deber-karuna-moitri/1527/?qs=namo+namo+buddha

      And

      http://www.srichinmoysongs.com/song/view/like-the-supreme-lord-shiva/6356/?book=9