OT I love the Kremlin

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2013
      That's the Kremlin on our banner, right?

      Geez, I get the sense we should be posting messages in Russian.

      Well, here's one:

      Rabote ne volk, vles ne ubizhit

      (I don't speak Russian, so my spelling is strictly conjectural)

      Literal translation: Work is not a wolf; it will run away into the forest.

      Meaning: Don't burn the midnight oil unnecessarily.

      This is called a Baga Vorka- a folk saying or expression, of which Russian has a lot! They actually vary from region to region, so the bon mots in Moscow can be totally mystifying to the people in Siberia and vice versa.

      Well, have to go finish my "Notes from the Underground"

      --Mahiruha "Fyodor" Klein