Re: Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: My 1999 Marathon experience

  • jadranka11
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2013
      Hi Mahiruha,

      1999 Marathon in New York I will also never forget. Maybe we were at the same aid station, but I can't remember which one it was.
      First, the amount of food that was taken out of truck when we were preparing the tables, totally shocked me - it was enough to open the healthfood store. Then, when runners started coming to the table where I was standing and giving them drink, I couldn't believe my eyes how many of them was constantly coming and it lasted for hours. I remember, I was serving coca-cola and I couldn't stop for a single moment. In 1993 I ran NYC Marathon among 27 thousand runners and I thought I was prepared, I knew it would be thousands of them, but I didn't expect to have so many of them at our aid station.
      When I was told that Guru is giving prasad just a few meters away I couldn't leave the table before someone has replaced me, and I've almost missed prasad. A feeling inside me that I have to be there and give them a drink was so strong that it was impossible to go away. Finally someone came and took it over and I was able to leave.
      And then when I came to Guru to get prasad, reward came in the form of Guru's beautiful, broad smile, and I knew in the deepest depth of my heart that he was very pleased and grateful to all of us who were serving runners with all our happiness. And I realised how important to Guru was our selfless service that he offers to the world through each and every disciple.
      As a memory on that special experience I still have a yellow apron with NYC skyscrapers and year 1999 on it.

      Thank you for all the recollections that you and others wrote on this site, each and every story inspired me so much.
      Gratefully,

      Jadranka