Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: Oneness-Fountain-Heart Memories

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22 2:57 PM
      Once Sri Chinmoy visited Oneness-Fountain-Heart in 2005. He was dressed casually in shorts and a t-shirt and sandals. Aparajita was showing him around the restaurant. One of the customers was a Hindu sadhu. When Guru passed him he bowed slightly to the sadhu, putting his right hand to his forehead and then to his heart centre. The sadhu also bowed to Guru, with tremendous reverence and respect. It seemed like a traditional way for sadhus to greet each other.

      Another time I was waiting on Sri Chinmoy at the Oneness-Fountain-Heart. He asked for a side of shrimp (vegetarian!) and also the soup du jour. I asked him if he wanted bread or brown rice. He smiled at me and said he didn't take such things. Then he paused, and corrected himself, and asked for some brown rice for one of his attendants, the curator of his Jharna-Kala art collection. I thanked Guru for his order and walked away, thinking, "Wow, he is such a good disciple!"

      Then I did a double-take. Wait. Guru is a good disciple? And then I realized that what I had thought was actually one hundred percent true. Guru is his own best disciple. I mean, he never asked us to do anything that he did not do himself. He asked us to sing his Bengali songs daily for spiritual development, and he sang those very songs every morning, fifty or sixty of them, accompanying himself on the harmonium. That's just one example.

      Another time, Pulak called the restaurant in the morning and asked us to prepare some items for Guru. We got them all together, and nicely packed them up and Pulak came twenty minutes later to take it to Guru's house. I handed the package to Pulak, and he thanked us for the food and left. The chef came out, saw Pulak getting in the car and pointed, "Hey, Guru's in the car!"

      Usually Pulak would just pick up the food for Guru. Guru did not usually accompany him. So, even though the car was parked right in front of the restaurant, just directly facing the big windows, I didn't notice Guru.

      When the chef pointed out Guru to me, Guru turned and looked at us for a few seconds. We could feel his loving concern, his sweetness and also his ineffable joy fill the room. What presence he had!

      One evening a customer told me that Oneness-Fountain-Heart seems out of place in the neighborhood. She noted that all the other buildings were brown or grey and monolithic and lifeless. But Oneness-Fountain-Heart has so much joy and life. She paused, and then said, "It's like a swimming pool in the middle of the desert!"
    • arpan_deangelo
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25 7:16 AM
        Thanks for the recollections Mahiruha. It brings the value of those days truly to life and inspires gratitude for being here in NY.
        Gratefully,
        Arpan
      • sri_chinmoy_inspiration
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2013
          [ Posted on behalf of Jaysalini. Please see posting instructions here:
          http://www.srichinmoyinspiration.com/content/joining-sri-chinmoy-inspiration-group ]

          Mahiruha,

          your recollections are so precious and give a sense of relations between the Master and disciple that are not always visible for those who are a bit more remote in location and could not see the Master on daily basis. But through your recollections one can feel the Love and Concern of Guru that he showered upon his disciples every day, every moment.

          Gratefull to you for all the efforts and energy you put in writing it down. I believe it is very uplifting for you to write and for us - to read :-)

          Thanks again

          Jaysalini
        • mahiruha_27
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2013
            Jaysalini,

            Thank you for your thoughtful and kind words. I'm really happy people enjoy my recollections on the Master. And, yes, I definitely benefit from writing them down!

            The generous encouragement I get from people like you helps me to continue.

            Thank you!

            --Mahiruha