"The Guru's Farewell Concern" by Suchana

  • inspiration_letters
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21 5:05 PM
      When my sister Nishtha phoned me I was just back home and I had literally lost my voice because of a strong cold. Anyway I was successful enough to tell her about my flight back from New York and other details. A few hours later, that ailment which would last for days was completely over! "This is Guru´s Concern!" that was my feeling.

      The day before the weather had been pretty cold on my last day before leaving Aspiration-Ground late in November 1992. I had never experienced that the sun would pale under the dazzling Compassion of my spiritual Master-Guru´s physical presence.

      At that time, Sri Chinmoy´s shelter was a humble small wooden cottage with translucent doors. He would sit on a chair surrounded by fragrant gratitude-flowers and spend hours on end in deep meditation and fitness exercises. All this would flow naturally along with his personal concern about everyone and each of his "spiritual children" as he would like to call his disciples.

      That morning, Sri Chinmoy was also deeply concerned on gifts he was sending to very close Russian friends who were visiting my city a few days later. As usual, Umnilam would bring him heavy weights as my Master Guru kept on discussing with Govinda and Nishtha about special presents. I was absorbed in the subtle world of the spirit when all of a sudden I got a sweet commanding voice telling me not to take away my shoes because the ground was completely wet. Can you imagine?

      My inner being was reluctant in saying farewell to my Guru´s physical presence. Once again he repeated, "Keep your shoes! Keep your shoes!" and at last but not least, while putting some papers aside, Sri Chinmoy asked his assistant to take photos of us. Finally, after giving me some immortal gifts for my family members and myself, he pointed out to me to stand in front of him for the last photo. He took his polaroid camera: Divine Silence … eternal Oneness … powerful Smiles… infinite Delight … Click!! … immortal Blessings … "Here you are. Take these photos", Guru said to me before offering his last blessingful waving Hand.
      §
    • mahiruha_27
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28 5:48 PM
        I liked Suchana's article, especially when she writes about how Guru told her not to take off her shoes before taking Prasad, lest her feet get wet and muddy on Aspiration-Ground.

        Guru really had a highly sensitive attunement to his disciples' needs and life situations. I remember in 2004, when I was training avidly for an autumn marathon. In the weeks before the marathon, whenever I would pass in front of Guru, I would see this blazing enthusiasm bubbling from his eyes. It was like his eyes caught on fire, were just brimming with fiery joy, when he saw me. I could feel his encouragement and inspiration in my running.

        Then, alas, I got a pulled hamstring from too much running. The marathon became out of the question- it would have taken me ten or eleven hours to finish and I felt that that was not the experience Guru wanted for me. After I made my decision, I passed in front of Guru. For a split second I saw that fiery enthusiastic joy light up in his eyes, and then it flickered and vanished. He gave me an `ordinary' smile (I don't know, however, if any of Guru's smiles were ever ordinary) and I took the prasad and sat down.

        I had never told Guru I was training for a marathon in the first place, and also I had never informed him that I had canceled my plans. But, in both cases, I saw from his incredibly expressive eyes that he was completely cued in on my life and activities. That's the kind of attention and concern that only a real Guru can provide. I still feel it.

        --Mahiruha