Re: Sushumna

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
      Thank you for writing that sweet memorial to Sushumna. I did not know she passed away. I have a few very nice early memories of her as well. I will mention one here and then hopefully with a little more time I can write something more for her memory.

      The first Birthday Celebrations Week was in August 1972. I had been a disciple for about 4 months and I had just turned 20 years old the month before, in July. It was pretty intense with the new style of life and then this amazing week of activities with people from around the world. There were only a few hundred disciples then, which is nothing compared to now, but still it was a uniquely energizing and sometimes intimidating experience.

      Sushumna was one of the 'senior' members and had been a disciple for over a year or two I believe. Back then to get to know a disciple who was on the path for over a year and even two, three or four years was quite thrilling. Sushumna, along with Mukti and other women who were perhaps my mother's age back then were so kind to the younger and newer disciples. Sometimes we would have to give them rides to Connecticut where many of the functions were, including Guru's Birthday, and they would just talk to us like brothers and sisters.

      I had never had this kind of experience with the older generation before. Anyone around my mother or father's age were always just older adults who usually just treated us like kids. But Sushumna, who was one of the few British disciples that I had met in those first months, was very sweet and reassuring with a very loving sense of understanding for young disciples.

      This I will never forget and inspires me to emulate when I, as an 'elder', mix with younger disciples and try to empathize with them.

      Gratefully,
      Arpan
    • bigalita
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
        Thank you for that sweet reminder of Sushumna's love and devotion for our Path and her sister and brother disciples. I was wondering if there is a chance that her book "Things My Guru Taught Me" might be reprinted, as I doubt that there are still copies available? I have her second book "Believe in Your Impossible Dreams" and that too is a treasure I can only highly recommend.
        Anybody has Sushumna's first book but not her second and would like to "trade for a week", please bring it with you to NY, I will do the same.
        Bigalita
      • doris.cott
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
          Dear Bigalita and Arpan, I did read both books by Sushumna you mention, Bigalita, and got so much inspiration from them that on one of the latest celebrations I used an opportunity to briefly thank her. Many stories I may have forgotten, but one is still sticking in my mind. It really helped me to change my attitude in certain situations and remain calm and detached.

          Unfortunately I gave both books to some older disciples in our centre who don't have the capacity to fly and join celebrations in NY regularly. But I will try to find the first book for you and send it to NY with someone. It should be quite possible to find it.

          -Doris