34th Chico Marathon Anniversary on March 3

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2013
      For those of you who are interested in Guru's Marathon accomplishments, the name `Chico' usually rings a familiar and inspiring bell. On March 3, 1979, Sri Chinmoy completed his first 26.2 mile (or 42 Km) running marathon race in Chico, California.

      He was 47 years old at the time. Amidst all the other responsibilities and projects that he was involved in for the 15 years he had been in America as well as traveling all over the world, he also started serious long distance training only 9 months earlier on June 1, 1978.

      Many Centres all over the world will celebrate this very auspicious occasion in a week or so in various ways. Usually we try to inspire each other to run a marathon that weekend or at least part of a marathon along with others who will complete a marathon together as a team. Learning and singing the many marathon songs that Guru wrote is also a good way to celebrate and appreciate Guru's amazing marathon achievements.

      In N.Y. we put on a somewhat formal marathon race here around the Jamaica High School block. This year it will be on March 2, Saturday, starting at 7:00 a.m. We have new Chico Marathon Anniversary T-shirts every year usually with a new design and poem. We will start selling them this weekend and can take orders if anyone else might be interested in getting some when they come to NY in April or earlier.

      Also we would like to share some inspiring stories and poems here concerning Guru's marathons or your own marathon experiences or inspirations. I have some poems I wrote for Guru's first two marathons which I will offer here next week.

      In the meantime I hope we can hear from some of you who may not usually write in here. But hopefully you will be inspired by this topic of marathons at this special time of year as we celebrate the incredible effort and achievements that our Guru shared with us in the marathon world.

      This also may be a good time to start planning a 6-month training program to get in serious shape for the August Self-Transcendence Marathon. If anyone needs advice or training tips please let me know. I may also start sending some training tips to this site as well.

      Stay tuned for more marathon inspiration,
      Arpan