Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: Guru's advice to me

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2013
      Shortly after I became a disciple in 1997, I posed a question to Guru, through my Centre leader, as to whether or not I should continue my formal education. I was about to graduate from college, and was just wondering if Guru might have any insights as to the best course of action for me.

      She got back to me promptly. She saw Guru at one of our Divine Enterprises and posed the question to him.

      "Do you know who Morris is, Guru?" she began.

      Guru did not know me by name, so she gave a description and Guru said, "Yes, I see him often." I had been attending both the seeker meditations and the Wednesday night meditations regularly. I was living near Trenton, New Jersey and took the train up biweekly to see the Master.

      "Guru," she continued, "Morris was wondering whether or not he should go to graduate school. He is about to graduate from college."

      Guru meditated for a moment or two and said, "He does not have to go to school anymore. He should just get a job and it should have a nice atmosphere."

      Then Guru smiled at my Centre leader and said, "Today would have been your mother's birthday. I am blessing her soul in heaven."

      I get a lot of joy by remembering this communication between my Guru and my Centre leader. It just shows how committed Guru was to being a Guru, to giving each of his students personal attention and guidance. He told me to work as opposed to get more academic training. But he only told me that after he had meditated and received that message from within.

      In general, I know that he asks people not to go back to school because he wants his students to focus more on developing themselves spiritually as opposed to intellectually. But he has asked some people to study when he saw that that would be conducive to their spiritual growth.

      MY DEEP HEART IS FULL

      My deep heart is full.
      I shall smile today,
      Heaven's blue smile.
      I shall study once more
      In my inner school
      And scatter God-Light all around,
      For a while.

      --From Sri Chinmoy's book "A Soulful Cry versus A Fruitful Smile"
      (http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0350/1/527/index.html)