Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: Love Offerings

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2013
      The first week of June in 2004 was rather warm and overcast. On that Friday, I got off my shift at Oneness-Fountain-Heart at three o'clock. My bike had recently had its seat torn off (welcome to JamaicaÂ…Queens), so I was walking home. I had got to Union Turnpike when the sky opened up in a full-blown summer storm. It rained with tremendous intensity for about five minutes and then cleared up almost immediately. A beautiful rainbow appeared in the sky, floating over and beyond the wisps of dark clouds. An Afghani woman and her daughter saw it before I did. The mother pointed to it out to her daughter and her daughter looked up and I also looked and saw it. So beautiful.

      That night I wrote Guru a letter thanking him for showing me that beautiful rainbow, and that I felt his grace operating in many areas of my life. I included a fifty-dollar bill.

      The following evening I arrived late at the Saturday function because I worked the dinner shift. Guru had just called for love-offering (completely voluntary donations from people who are in a position to give). So I ran up on stage and put my letter in the box. Guru nodded as I passed by him. I just got the sense that he was pleased not only with the fact that I was offering money, but also because I was giving with the right attitude, with a sense of joy. I also felt that he knew about my experience without my even telling him. He intuited why I was giving this money and that mattered more to him than the actual gift.

      He was a very alert and a very sensitive Guru.

      --Mahiruha

      The sun is in the west.
      A rainbow is in the east.
      But I am neither in the sun