Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: My Own World

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2013
      On some Sunday in late March, 2005, I got up late. I meditated a little bit and then decided to go out for a rare run. Then, as now, my runs involve a great deal of walking. Anyway, I was "running" along Union Turnpike, and had just passed the Madal Bal bakery on my right, when I saw a car that looked an awful lot like Pulak's station wagon. There was an Indian man in the front passenger seat.

      Guru!

      There was a lot of traffic, so the car was going very slowly. I did not attract attention to myself, but just folded my hands as I ran. Guru turned his head to the side and saw me and recognized me. Then he immediately looked away. The logjam cleared up and the car started moving again and soon vanished far ahead of me.

      I was so happy that I had seen Guru. True, he did not smile or wave at me, but I knew that Guru often went on long, soulful drives, to nowhere in particular. During these long drives he would just meditate and meditate. And sometimes he would chant "Supreme" hundreds and hundreds of times, softly and prayerfully. I was really happy to have even seen him, just for a moment.

      Anyway, the following Sunday was warm and sunny and Guru held a meditative function at Aspiration-Ground. At the end of the function, prasad (maybe vanilla crème wafers and semi-ripe bananas) was placed in crates in front of him and we all formed a line to take it.

      Just a couple seconds after I had taken prasad, Guru leaned towards the microphone and said, "Last week I saw Morris running on Union Turnpike. I was calling him, but he was in his own world."

      Guru was calling me? He didn't roll down the window as far as I saw. Had he been calling me inside the car, hoping I would read his lips? I did fold my hands and look at him. How was I in my own world? I suppose Guru wanted me to feel special, that he could tell everyone that he had been calling my name but that I was too proud to acknowledge him!

      Guru, you can call me anytime, however you want to. Just remember: I do have caller ID.

      --Mahiruha