Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: How one woman got her spiritual name

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2013
      Many years ago, a leader of one of the smaller European Centres told me an amusing story about how she got her spiritual name from Guru.

      This was sometime in the early 1970's. Guru had just given a talk in London and there was an informal function afterwards. This lady had accompanied Guru for his entire European lecture tour, as had her best friend, who was from the same Centre. Suddenly, Guru called her friend up on stage and blessed her. Then he gave her a spiritual name. It was a very beautiful name, with a lengthy, elaborate meaning. It took Guru some five minutes to explain and interpret the full significance of her name. She was visibly overwhelemd!

      Then Guru called up this young woman, who was a Centre leader (her Centre was quite small). He gave her her spiritual name and then supplied the meaning: "She who loves the light and who is beloved by the light."

      Guru paused for a second and then said, "That's it."

      This woman laughed when she told me this, remarking that it was if Guru was saying, in his own loving way, "And you're lucky you got that!"

      --Mahiruha