Re: Legends

  • francesco_murianni
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2013
      Thank you Arpan,
      very inspiring!
    • suchana27
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 22, 2013
        Dear Arpan,
        I may also translate into spanish partly of your beautiful article on Ted Corbitt´s significant life and share with readers from other countries who don´t know him yet.
        It is a very inspiring and uplifting Legend. Thank you!
        Suchana
      • arpan_deangelo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 23, 2013
          Gracias Suchana,

          Yes I think it is a great idea for many more people to be inspired by Ted Corbitt. Guru himself was so inspired by and respectful of Ted that any time he heard that Ted was at our races he would come to greet Ted.

          One time Ted and I were walking around the 3100 mile race course to see the course and greet the runners. Guru was being driven there and as soon as he saw Ted walking on the sidewalk he had his driver stop the car immediately on the street. Guru quickly came out to greet Ted and they had a long conversation about running and walking while standing on the corner.

          Ted was about 84 years old then and Guru was about 72. Ted was explaining why he had to stop running many years before and just walk in the races. He had a bronchial problem that would not heal but that did not stop him from walking marathons, ultramarathons and multiday races.

          Guru had stopped running many years before also for various physical reasons. They both then agreed that walking was the best exercise. Of course they still loved to see those of us who are well enough to run and race whenever we can.

          I learned from Ted and from Guru that running and walking combined can allow us to go further especially as we get older and try to avoid injuries.

          So that is my point of view which some people may or may not agree with according to their own capacities. The 3100 mile race for many of the runners is a balance of running and walking. As long as we are moving forward to a meaningful goal then the speed does not always matter. I feel that the motivation, inspiration and aspiration while remaining happy is the most important factor in striving for our goals.

          Muchas Gracias,
          Arpan
        • suchana27
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 27, 2013
            Thanks to you again, Arpan, for posting some extra details about Guru and one of his best friends. Ted Corbitt is such a beautiful example to follow in the healthy running world.
            Me also, I´ll keep their tips in mind!
            All best,
            Suchana