Re: Swami Vivekananda’s 150th Birth Anniversary (1863-2013)

  • animesh.harrington
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2013
      It is interesting when looking at photographs of Swami Vivekananda that they are nearly all black and white, except for one striking shot of him wearing his burgundy-coloured robe and orange turban.

      You can see the photograph at Sri Chinmoy Reflections:
      http://srichinmoy-reflections.com/vivekananda-tribute

      This picture was taken in 1893, thirteen years before the first colour camera was invented. Before the advent of colour photography, artists would hand colour black and white prints – and what a brilliant job they did.

      Though the recording mediums of the time were in their infancy, there are thankfully some surviving photographs and an original audio recording of Vivekananda giving his welcome address at the World's Parliament of Religions in Chicago.

      There is a link to this audio recording at Sri Chinmoy Reflections:
      http://srichinmoy-reflections.com/vivekananda-tribute

      His immortal opening words, "Sisters and brothers of America..." still echo across the centuries with the same spiritual clarity and strength. This is possibly the only recording of Swami Vivekananda's voice in existence.

      How fortunate we are then to have photographs, video and audio recordings of Sri Chinmoy. And thanks to producers and curators like filmmakers and videographers Niriha, Utpal, Abakash, Kedar, Mridanga and others; photographers like Sarama, Bhashwar, Shraddha, Pulak, Maral, Prashphutita and more; recording engineers like Dhanu and Kamalakanta; and publishers like Aum Publications, the images, music and words of Sri Chinmoy will last far into the future.
    • doris.cott
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2013
        Hi Animesh,

        You said:

        "How fortunate we are then to have photographs, video and audio recordings of Sri Chinmoy. And thanks to producers and curators like filmmakers and videographers Niriha, Utpal, Abakash, Kedar, Mridanga and others; photographers like Sarama, Bhashwar, Shraddha, Pulak, Maral, Prashphutita and more; recording engineers like Dhanu and Kamalakanta; and publishers like Aum Publications, the images, music and words of Sri Chinmoy will last far into the future."

        I too am grateful to own quite some recordings of Guru. I hope to find, see and hear many more of the videos and audios not only in this but also in my next incarnation...

        I was inspired to review one of the three videos I own (two of them recorded and produced by Niriha on Janurary 12, 2000 which is today and one by Mridanga the same year) where Guru tells a lot of stories about Vivekananda's life and similarities between experiences in his own life.

        It defies any explanation, but in the past I didn't have real access to the life of this great and good Swami Vivekananda, but Guru himself explains it all so well in the mentioned video. For months Guru's book "Vivekananda, An Ancient Silence-Heart and a Modern Dynamism-Life" fell into my hands while browsing through my collection of Guru's books but I hesitated to open it and read. It is not so easy for a beginner seeker like me to always understand everything properly, at least so thinks the mind. But the master's perfect simplicity makes his own great teachings accessible for everyone.

        So, thank you again for reminding us of the anniversary of Vivekananda's 150th birthday.

        -Doris