Re: Ravi Shankar and Streaming Radio

  • tejvan_13
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2012
      In London this weekend, I just happened to pick up a 'Chinmoy Family' (the name of the old Sri Chinmoy Centre newsletter) from 1973. There was a small note about Sri Chinmoy's first meeting with Ravi Shankar in Queens, New York, 1973. There was a wonderful photo, I hadn't seen before, with both men smiling broadly - clearly enjoying being in each others' company.

      The short note from Chinmoy Family, 1973, stated: 'Most of the conversation between the two men was in their native Bengali, although their animation and immediate rapport needed no translation.'

      Also, on Radio Sri Chinmoy, you might catch a special streaming edition of music dedicated to the music of Ravi Shankar.

      If you click below, you can open up in iTunes:
      http://narada.vasudevaserver.net/tunein.php/whm/playlist.pls

      You could also try pasting this URL into your favourite music player:

      http://96.126.107.232:8004

      Thanks to Michael for offering this streaming radio service.
      http://streaming.radiosrichinmoy.org/

      A few years ago, I was fortunate and privileged to see one live concert of Ravi Shankar's music. It was a wonderfully uplifting night of soulful music.

      I also deeply admired how Ravi Shankar remained dedicated to his music and self-offering for so many years.

      ~

      Tejvan
    • animesh.harrington
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2012
        Hi Tejvan,

        The photo of Sri Chinmoy and Ravi Shankar from 1973, published in Chinmoy Family, can be seen at Sri Chinmoy Reflections:

        http://srichinmoy-reflections.com/on-this-day-september#9.20

        Click to enlarge it.

        Also, we've put up a permanent Ravi Shankar tribute section at:

        http://srichinmoy-reflections.com/ravi-shankar

        Many thanks for the links you've provided and in particular for the wonderful piece about Ravi Shankar in Sri Chinmoy Centre News:

        http://www.srichinmoybio.co.uk/news/sri-chinmoy/ravi-shankar

        Animesh