Ravi Shankar

  • francesco_murianni
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
      Today at the age of 92 years pass away Ravi Shankar.
      There are not words enough to say how much he has done for music,
      for India and for spirituality.
      I remember when he and his daughter came to NY to meet with Guru.
      His greatness is expressed in his music forever.
      Francesco
    • animesh.harrington
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
        Very true Francesco,

        Ravi Shankar met with Sri Chinmoy on several occasions and they shared a deep friendship and had a profound respect for each other.

        There is a tribute to him on the front page of Sri Chinmoy Reflections, as well as an excellent article about the concert in New York.

        http://srichinmoy-reflections.com

        Animesh
      • standackg
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
          There are some interesting historical details about Ravi Shankar and Sri Chinnmoy on the Radio Sri Chinmoy:

          http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/10174/pranati-obeisance/
        • suchana27
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
            There are very nice photos by Kedar in

            http://srichinmoyphoto.com/2012/12/12/tribute-to-ravi-shankar-1920-2012/

            Sri Chinmoy and Ravi Shankar were good friends and they admired each other deeply. These photos show them at different meetings over the years.

            Maybe they are meeting again now in their heaven of music.

            Gratefully,
            Suchana
          • arpan_deangelo
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
              Wednesday evening we had a Memorial Function for the late Ravi Shankar. A beautiful shrine was set up on one of the stages with two large photos, one of Ravi Shankar and Sri Chinmoy embracing as brothers, and one with his wife Sukanya and their daughter Anoushka with Sri Chinmoy. Since they had both lost their last brothers many years ago they started treating each other as dear Bengali brothers from that day on.

              Having first met in 1973, they were reunited again in 2002 and the friendship from then on just grew and grew. Anoushka and Sukanya also met with Sri Chinmoy quite a few times over the years and even came to Aspiration-Ground for a special private concert here in 2002.

              Last night at the function we watched a video of some of this immortal performance by Ravi-ji, Anoushka and their accompaniment. It brought back deeply moving memories of that incredible night when the rain was pounding on the tent and Ravi-ji was creating new sounds on the sitar to accompany the rain. By the end of the night everyone was rapt in awe at the amazing immortal melodies and sounds coming from Ravi-ji's and Anoushka's mortal instruments.

              Anoushka accompanied her father and performed with him in many truly uplifting, immortal sitar performances. Whenever they performed in the New York, New Jersey area some of us were fortunate enough to have been asked to accompany them and assist them with their traveling and their instruments. At last night's function a few of us related some of the experiences we had with Ravi-ji and his family in this regard.

              Since my teenage years in the late 60's when I was introduced to Indian music through Ravi Shankar's sitar playing here in the West, I always had a fascination and appreciation for this haunting, spiritually based form of music. To be able to assist him and his family for a few years was truly an honor and a dream come true for which I will always be grateful.

              At the Memorial function last night we all had an opportunity to offer a candle at the shrine set up for Ravi-ji. Some of us sang some songs composed by Sri Chinmoy for Ravi-ji as well. We also sang a song of his words put to music by Sri Chinmoy. The words by Ravi Shankar are:"The highest form in music is spirituality."

              The English translation to one of Sri Chinmoy's songs for Ravi-ji written in August 2002 are:

              "Ravi Shankar, to you I offer my soulful obeisance.
              You are the Lion-Sitarist.
              In the world of hallowed music-pilgrimage,
              Immortal you are in every heart.
              From high Heaven the Cosmic Gods descend and garland you.
              At every moment they illumine your life-road.
              Two sleepless friends you have: Heaven's Fragrance, Heavens's Glory.
              Rapt in dance at the Feet of the Absolute Lord Supreme
              Is your outer frame." Sri Chinmoy

              During the function we also watched a video of Ravi-ji and Sri Chinmoy at their re-uniting function in San Diego in 2002. Sri Chinmoy honored Ravi-ji and his family by lifting them up on an overhead platform. This type of program was called 'Lifting Up the World with a Oneness-Heart' and was performed by Sri Chinmoy for many years to honor people who have contributed to the progress of humanity in various and significant ways in their lifetime. Ravi-ji also received the U Thant award that night.

              By the end of the Memorial Function for Ravi-ji I think we all felt reunited with him and his strong friendship with Sri Chinmoy. It was as if these two spiritual brothers and immortal musicians were once again playing together and having fun as they lifted our spirits and brought joy and music into our lives.

              Now they will be joined forever in the higher worlds, and for those of us lucky enough to be still on this earth we can always have free access to their most illumining and inspiring music which they left here for all to enjoy.

              Gratefully,
              Arpan
            • kedarvideo
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
                As a tribute to Ravi Shankar I published 3 pictures where he can be seen together with Sri Chinmoy:

                http://srichinmoyphoto.com/2012/12/12/tribute-to-ravi-shankar-1920-2012/

                Kedar
              • tejvan_13
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 16, 2012
                  In London this weekend, I just happened to pick up a 'Chinmoy Family' (the name of the old Sri Chinmoy Centre newsletter) from 1973. There was a small note about Sri Chinmoy's first meeting with Ravi Shankar in Queens, New York, 1973. There was a wonderful photo, I hadn't seen before, with both men smiling broadly - clearly enjoying being in each others' company.

                  The short note from Chinmoy Family, 1973, stated: 'Most of the conversation between the two men was in their native Bengali, although their animation and immediate rapport needed no translation.'

                  Also, on Radio Sri Chinmoy, you might catch a special streaming edition of music dedicated to the music of Ravi Shankar.

                  If you click below, you can open up in iTunes:
                  http://narada.vasudevaserver.net/tunein.php/whm/playlist.pls

                  You could also try pasting this URL into your favourite music player:

                  http://96.126.107.232:8004

                  Thanks to Michael for offering this streaming radio service.
                  http://streaming.radiosrichinmoy.org/

                  A few years ago, I was fortunate and privileged to see one live concert of Ravi Shankar's music. It was a wonderfully uplifting night of soulful music.

                  I also deeply admired how Ravi Shankar remained dedicated to his music and self-offering for so many years.

                  ~

                  Tejvan
                • animesh.harrington
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 16, 2012
                    Hi Tejvan,

                    The photo of Sri Chinmoy and Ravi Shankar from 1973, published in Chinmoy Family, can be seen at Sri Chinmoy Reflections:

                    http://srichinmoy-reflections.com/on-this-day-september#9.20

                    Click to enlarge it.

                    Also, we've put up a permanent Ravi Shankar tribute section at:

                    http://srichinmoy-reflections.com/ravi-shankar

                    Many thanks for the links you've provided and in particular for the wonderful piece about Ravi Shankar in Sri Chinmoy Centre News:

                    http://www.srichinmoybio.co.uk/news/sri-chinmoy/ravi-shankar

                    Animesh