Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: Guru's memories from Sri Aurobindo Ashram:

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2012
      These are just a couple more of Sri Chinmoy's recollections from his days in the Sri Aurobindo ashram. And, by the way, I believe Guru said these things. I think I remember him making these statements. But, please remember I am quoting from memory. So, all this is unofficial.

      Once Guru mentioned that nobody in the Aurobindo ashram would look at anybody else directly in the eye. Guru explained the spiritual significance behind this practice, saying that when you look at somebody in the eye, you can receive something from that person; you can give something to that other person; you can lose something of your own.

      Guru also expressed sadness that so few of his disciples would bring his books to read before our Wednesday night meditation. He said many years ago that he would like all of his students to read his books for at least half an hour a day. I think he may have even commented that if we don't have the time to read his books, that we should just look at them. Look at the covers at least! When he lived at the Sri Aurobindo asharam, Guru explained, he read all of Sri Aurobindo's books at least eight times. Considering Sri Aurobindo's voluminous output, that is quite a remarkable statement!

      We've formed a poetry club here at the Chicago Centre. We read out Guru's poems and we try to discuss what his poems mean to us. Here's a topical poem:

      WHO WILL READ MY POEMS?

      Who will read my poems?
      Man? Never!
      Since he has so many
      Important things to do,
      I just forgive him.

      Who will read my poems?
      God? Why not?
      He has to,
      Since it is He who
      Has written all these poems
      In and through me.

      Naturally He has to
      And
      He always does,
      Carefully,
      Lovingly,
      Cheerfully.

      --From "The Wings of Light" volume 14, by Sri Chinmoy

      (http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0090/1/14/index.html)