Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: Guru's memories of Sri Aurobindo

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2012
      Sri Chinmoy had absolutely the deepest, lifelong love, adoration and admiration for his beloved Guru, Sri Aurobindo. He gave almost eight hundred Peace Concerts around the world, and at every single one he would sing songs in honour of his great mentor and spiritual giant, Sri Aurobindo. I remember two things that Guru said about his discipleship with the Master.

      He said that he never had occasion to speak a single word to his Master. In other words, his relationship with his Guru was completely on the inner plane. Some of Sri Aurobindo's disciples served their Master personally, round the clock, as his secretaries or stenographers or editors (like Sri Chinmoy, Sri Aurobindo was very involved in literary work). For years, Guru washed the dishes at the Ashram hall. That was his job and he liked it because it was a simple job. It gave him much time to meditate and read. I guess this goes to show that it is not the outer relationship that is most important, but rather the disciple's receptivity and openness to the Master's light. I think I remember Guru saying that his best disciples were three people in Russia that he had yet to meet, but who meditated on him with utmost devotion. I like this passage from "Sri Chinmoy Answers" part 9:

      "There is one disciple whose name I do not want to say, but she is an elderly lady. O God! She says that wherever I go, or wherever she moves, from this room to that room and another room, always she sees me, she feels me. Now, where is her city, and where is New York? She is not in New York. Perhaps I will never in this lifetime see that person on the physical plane. Never, never! But it is not her mental hallucination. Only on the strength of imagination, everywhere she sees me right in front of her, beside her—everywhere."
      (http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1276/2/6/index.html)

      Guru also spoke about his final `darshan' with the Master. All of the disciples, including Guru, would pass before the Master four times year. Each disciple was allowed to stand in front of the Master for four seconds, not more. I think Guru's job was to take everybody's shoes from the entrance of the hall and put them by the exit, just so that people would not have to go back to get their shoes. Because of this duty, he was often one of the last people to pass by the Master. At Sri Aurobindo's last darshan, perhaps in 1949 or 1950, Guru was the one of the last, if not the last person to receive blessing of the Master's silent gaze. When he stood in front of the Master, he saw that tears were streaming down Sri Aurobindo's face. Guru told us that Sri Aurobindo was shedding tears because it was the last time they would see each other on the physical plane. He knew that he was going to leave the body soon.

      I like this story.

      (See Animesh's fantastic site for this excerpt from Guru's epic: http://www.srichinmoy-reflections.com/enter-we-must

      I may detect echoes of Sri Aurobindo's immortal poem "Savitri" in these lines.)

      --Mahiruha