Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: Peace Blossom Colleges

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2012
      In 1999 and 2000, one young woman in our New York Centre began dedicating colleges and universities as Sri Chinmoy Peace Blossoms. She would get in touch with the Presidents or members of the Board and ask them if they would like to participate in this program for world harmony and friendship. Many, many colleges responded affirmatively, often with great enthusiasm.

      After a sublime Friday night public meditation at Aspiration Ground, after the seekers had left, she approached the microphone to give news about her latest success. Sri Chinmoy interrupted her before she could even say anything!

      "Why, why, why does your smile not have its usual luminosity and brilliance and power?" he groaned.

      He continued, saying, "If you are suffering physically, I sympathize with you. If you are suffering mentally, I am sorry."

      (See this entry at the Sri Chinmoy Library: http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0645/2/10/index.html)

      "Guru, I'm tired!" She answered.

      Guru didn't miss a beat.

      "Are you the only one who works?" he asked her. "Are the rest of us all vagabonds?"

      "Whatever," she said, taking Guru's teasing in stride.

      She went on to describe her latest successful effort. She said that she had just been on the phone with the president of a particular college, and she mentioned Guru's name. The president was surprised to hear the name "Sri Chinmoy" because his roommate in college had been with Guru. The president had actually roomed with him before he had become Guru's student. He mentioned that Guru clearly had a positive impact on his friend's life. He still remembered that. He was happy to dedicate the college as a Sri Chinmoy Peace Blossom.

      Then the young woman smiled and told Guru that this was something like the fortieth Peace Blossom College. Everyone cheered and clapped. Guru seemed very pleased.

      --Mahiruha