My Visit To Greece, Part 2

  • doris.cott
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2012
      Despite of my happiness about the perspective of living for a while in a house near the mountains and even a big garden, an hour away from the city, which I have often dreamed of, I knew that this was not only a holiday trip, but I was really inspired to help the disciples with the centre activities. I couldn't comprehend that I had not taken it into consideration before. Probably this happens when you feel that you have no real outer task in your own centre.But nobody may conclude that I am indifferent. No!

      Anyways, I was flying high in the sky, the "what ifs" circling in my mind remembering the text message on my mobile phone. But knowing that someone would pick me up was reassuring. Well, well..I looked around but didn't notice any Harmony Run shirt as being agreed. "Don't worry, Doris", I said inwardly to myself. "You are wearing your promised blue/white..." An elderly lady in a white beach dress with blond, short and curly hair smiled at me and I knew it was Magda. The load off my mind. A rather silent walk to her nearby parked jeep. "You know, that's village life" she apologized as she opened the door. Once on the highway, I bubbled forth how happy I was to be finally in Athens. I mentioned the high quality of the street, but Magda mumbled something like it was perhaps the only good street. Silently I enjoyed the big oleander bushes to my right – summer time! Then the exit. Helter-skelter through potholes but no problem for a jeep. The village offered quite a different consciousness, indeed. We stopped at a bakery and soon I began already to regret that I didn't know any Greek. The customary "Kalimera" and "Kaliniechta" I knew of course but that was it. I was told that many people would speak English, but maybe not in villages I assumed. I felt somewhat awkward – in the twilight of the day after an unnecessary long flight, standing next to two strangers who talked and talked, obviously knowing each other. Had I not been in Sri Lanka before I would probably have gotten what they call a culture shock. Wherever I looked the color grey dominated, buildings were desolate, dogs were roaming – there was a real sense of poverty. Finally the sales lady passed me a big cookie and smiled. Magda translated it was a welcome gift. A smile back.

      It was already dark when we finally arrived, an acrid smell of burned wood in the air, but when I turned around I was wonderstruck at the sight of a sea of lights in a far distant valley. Athens at night looked so beautiful! "You live downstairs," my host said in a tone that made me wonder whether I was oversensitive. Had I not been a disciple I might have said, "Fine", after entering the kind of small bower that was rather used as a storeroom that made me miss my pictures and Jharna Kalas of my master. Once alone I sat down on the edge of a bed-frame and encouraged myself, "Accept and be happy, after all it's not so bad." But when I noticed that I couldn't lock the door, that I couldn't even properly close it, I got a little scared. Outside it was very dark, the wooden window-frames warped and so low one could easily jump in and out, open space. I had expected the well-known peace and silence of a European village but what was around me was not just the yapping of some roaming dogs but real frightening barking so close as if several dogs were right in front of the house. Later I learned they were guarding the Mayor's compound on the other site of the dusty road. I don't remember how much sleep I got that night, listening into the dark...but I definitely had an effortless meditation and I looked forward to a new day.

      -Doris