Recollections on Sri Chinmoy

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 30, 2012
      I remember I was working with a talented chef at Oneness-Fountain-Heart who mentioned casually to one of Guru's attendants that he's like to create a cookbook. When the attendant mentioned this idea to Guru, Guru said,"Cooking is not in a book. Cooking is in the hand."

      I like the fact that Guru could speak with perfect confidence and authority about any subject. In one of the Sri Chinmoy Answers books he gives a famous marathon runner very specific, concrete advice about running.

      Cooking is in the hand. I suppose that means that to learn how to be a great cook, you have to watch the hands of a cook, see what he does, how his fingers touch and interact with the food.

      How grateful I am to have a spiritual teacher who can answer any question!

      --Mahiruha
    • doris.cott
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2012
        That is very interesting, Mahiruha. It is good to find in you someone who not only received the Master's wisdom-light first-hand but who also shares it with the rest of the world.

        -Doris

        P.S. A belated happy, happy soulsday to you.
      • mahiruha_27
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 26, 2013
          In early 2000 I was taking a bus to work, some twenty miles outside of Philadelphia. I was reading one of Guru's "Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Tree" books. A woman happened to look over my shoulder, saw what I was reading and asked me if I had acquired that book in a "holy store".

          I was not familiar with the term, so I asked her what that was. She said, "Where they sell Bibles and crosses and other things."

          I said, "Yes!"

          --Mahiruha
        • mahiruha_27
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 25, 2013
            Recollections on Sri Chinmoy

            In January 2001, while Sri Chinmoy was still on his annual Christmas trip (maybe to Myanmar or Indonesia) he composed a beautiful song, called "Shuno Shuno Bishwa Basi" the words to which you can find here:

            (http://www.srichinmoysongs.com/song/view/shuno-shuno-bishwa-basi/16258/?book=279)

            It's a song that's full of energy and joy. I sing it often.

            When the Master returned from his Christmas trip a few weeks later, two groups of disciples, one group of men and another group of women, arranged and performed the song.

            Usually the women far outshine the men singers in musicianship, but that night the men really outdid themselves. Sahishnu played the tabla, Premik played the flute and all of them sang with such enthusiasm and brio. The women, however, had better costumes. They dressed up like the Indian gods and goddesses. After both performances were over, and we all took prasad, one of the women singers happened to walk past Guru, still wearing her blue face paint.

            "Who are you," Guru asked her, "Kali?"

            The woman nodded, and Guru said, "To me, she is not blue. When I see Mother Kali, she is always golden."

            Here are some more interesting remarks that Guru made about Mother Kali:

            http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/earth-cry-meets-heaven-smile-3/in-that-picture-mother-kali-is

            --Mahiruha
          • marker913
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 27, 2013
              I remember one time, in New York, around 1995, i was a relatively new disciple and I was thinking a lot about whether or not Guru really knew me. I often thought that Guru knew my every move, my every conversation, my every thought, but at that time I started wondering whether that was really true. Then, one evening, before a function, I walked into one of the doors to the auditorium at PS86. It was one of the doors farthest away from the stage and Guru was up on the stage facing a few disciples that were getting ready for the function. I think he had a microphone. As soon as I walked in, I heard Guru say, "Mark!", like he was really happy to see me. Then he said, "How are you? I was meditating on you." For a moment I was thinking, "Am I supposed to talk to Guru, even though I'm way back here?" At that time I had never talked to Guru outwardly before. Then I realized he was actually talking to another disciple named 'Mark' up front. He was talking to both of us at the same time. But one message had been for me and another message had been for the other disciple. It was so cute. I've been impacted by that ever since.

              ~Mark
            • mahiruha_27
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 8, 2013
                Dear Mark,

                Thank you so much for contributing to this thread. I really appreciate it.

                I received personal birthday blessings from Guru maybe three or four times, but often I would have my most profound experiences when he was meditating on other people for their birthdays. His deep meditative consciousness was available for all, no matter who he was blessing or concentrating on at that moment.

                Thank you again. I'm always really happy and grateful when new people join our forum.

                Sincerely,

                Mahiruha