United Nations Day, Oct.24

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2012
      This evening in New York we had a humble and inspiring celebration of United Nations Day. All those present who either work or worked at the United Nations in any capacity came up to sing and meditate on this most special day. The singers sang about three of the many songs Sri Chinmoy has written for the United Nations over the years.
      Interspersed with the songs were various readings of some of Sri Chinmoy's writings and talks concerning the significance of the United Nations.

      The United Nations Charter was put into effect on October 24, 1945. In those 67 ensuing years the U.N. has accomplished much in the way of bringing hope, cooperation and relief to various parts of the world.

      In 1970 Sri Chinmoy was invited by the then Secretary General U Thant to lead the U.N. Meditation Group. For over 37 years Sri Chinmoy served the U.N. in this capacity, inspiring hope to all those who strive for a more peaceful world.

      The following inspiring talk by Sri Chinmoy, which we also received in printed form, was read out at the function. In it Sri Chinmoy said:
      "What does United Nations Day signify? It signifies a day of universal hope, a day of universal promise, a day of universal peace and universal oneness. Hope brightens humanity's present deplorable fate. Promise encourages humanity's speed, which embodies success and progress. Peace enlightens humanity's age-old ignorance. Satisfaction, which is founded upon oneness, the oneness that we long for in our world family, will one day dawn in our aspiring heart and our dedicated life.
      The United Nations is not a mere building. It is not a mere concept. It is not wishful thinking or even a dream. It is a reality which is growing, glowing and manifesting its radiance here, there, all-where throughout the length and breadth of the world. All those who are sincerely crying for a oneness-family are receiving light according to their receptivity from the soul of the United Nations."
      From `The Garland of Nation Souls: Complete Talks at the United Nations', Sri Chinmoy, 1995

      As we reflect upon these most precious and meaningful words, we also try to appreciate the tremendous efforts by those who have contributed to the work of the United Nations in trying to bring about a safer, happier and more peaceful oneness world.

      Gratefully,
      Arpan