Athens - First Impressions

  • doris.cott
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2012
      Athens is a five and a half million city with a beautiful Sri Chinmoy center located in the very heart of the city. There are four long time disciples of whom one woman is from Bulgaria and the other one from Serbia. In a way you can say that there is only one Greek disciple as the centre leader comes originally from Switzerland. But he told me that he felt like coming home when he stepped on Greece's soil in 1992. Later the Master would confirm that he had a Greek incarnation.

      There are many nice and promising seekers around, so the few center members are always busy giving classes and seeker meditations. The next lecturer will Dipavajan in the beginning of November.

      Having been in Athens for about a month, there are many stories waiting to be told. Some of them have already headlines: The Turtle And Your Heart Beat, Charlie's Gifts, Pomgranates And Peppermint, Outer And Inner Enemies, The Graffitti City, The Mayor's Dogs, Monasteries, Protected By Okras, Your German Prime Minister, Yup, Your Majesty, What An Island, Déjà vu, The Ideal Leader...and God knows how many incidents I have already forgotten.

      One thing is for sure, life in Greece is much different than life in Switzerland. I quickly realised what a huge task it is to establish a Sri Chinmoy Centre and provide seekers always with a welcoming smile. Nonetheless he has it - Mrittyunjoy. Knowing him as a fellow disciples who visits us from time to time I came to learn a center leader whose main qualities seem to be patience and tolerance, though I could add more attributes. In comparison here in Switzerland we seem to have no real problems. We like, we dislike, we choose and we loose. There in Greece each and every disciple is a precious jewel regardless to the individual personality.

      To cut a long story short, I can better say it in a poem.

      http://doriscott.blogspot.ch/

      -Doris

      P.S. I will upload some pictures of Athens and the surroundings in the Sri Chinmoy Photo gallery soon.
    • suchana27
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 25, 2012
        Hello Doris!

        Thank you for your kind words in your previous posting! :-)

        I love reading your first impressions on Greece and am looking forward to getting more news from you!

        Happy days!
        Suchana
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2012
          Hi, Doris!

          You are a very good writer! I enjoy your narrations very much. Please continue!

          with gratitude, Kamalakanta
        • doris.cott
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 2012
            Hi Kamalakanta, thank you for your encouragement. I don't know what made me brag about telling any stories that appear to me as the most trivial and personal at the moment. Should I ever find some deeper meaning in them at some other time I may narrate some of them.

            I believe though that my poem about Athens is conveying my feelings for this city accurately.

            Thank you again
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
              I love the poem. Here is the link if others missed it:
              http://doriscott.blogspot.com/

              Thanks for sharing your gifts with us here,