Worth the Journey

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2012
      Over the span of several months in 1975, Sri Chinmoy offered 7 lectures at the Harvard Divinity School. He dedicated the talks to the memory of President John F. Kennedy - a Harvard graduate. The 7 lectures and questions from the audience answered by Sri Chinmoy directly after the talks are published in a book entitled, "Earth-Bound Journey and Heaven-Bound Journey". http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0231/index.html

      This book which is not especially long in number of pages is aptly titled because it contains a wealth of content that encapsulates many of the core tenets of Guru's philosophy. Reading it takes you on a journey that leads you to contemplate spiritual lessons that simultaneously combine simplicity with deep philosophy. I find the book nothing less than fascinating for several reasons.

      First, several of the talks explore ideas about the limits of intellect, the reasoning mind and knowledge. To tackle the relationship between intellect and intuition, etc. in the halls of a university known around the world as housing some of the brightest and smartest intellects is so brave! It almost seems to me that he feels that students and faculty of this caliber are ripe to challenge convention and stretch their horizons in order to grasp the delicate and complex concepts he introduces.

      To give a hint of some of the wisdom flowing through this book, I will share a couple of quotes/excerpts. Probably not all in one post because there is so MUCH to explore in this one single book, despite the thousands of others he wrote. Some passages are rich with imagery and read like poetry. Others explicate a universe of spiritual philosophy that makes inner realities, God, Heaven and the realms of infinity, immortality and bliss seem as normal as the physical reality we observe with our human eyes.

      The first quote below I especially like for its poetry without diving into its deeper meaning. "Human knowledge is the wild laughter of possession." To pair the words wild and laughter in relation to possession makes you feel the alternating attraction and repulsion of the ultimate emptiness of any sense of lasting happiness through possessing things or trying to possess people.

      Then the next sentence, "Divine knowledge is the sweet, illumining and fulfilling song of liberation and perfection" seems to feel like a rolling hill or melodious waterfall or a field of wildflowers and the word "sweet" seems to give off a fragrance which culminates in complete satisfaction and perfection.

      "Human knowledge is the wild laughter of possession. Divine knowledge is the sweet, illumining and fulfilling song of liberation and perfection."
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0231/1/3/index.html

      the rest of the quotes below I will just share without any commentary or this will be the world's longest post...:-)

      "In our inner life we have a bosom friend: Intuition. Intuition is the life of the soul; intuition is the express train that expedites our Godward journey. Again, intuition's flame burns the past. It burns our undivine previous life. It illumines our present life. It brings to the fore the remote future within us. With our intuitive power we create a new life within us. With our intuitive power we grow into the very image of our Beloved Supreme."
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0231/1/4/index.html

      "The soul eventually gets the opportunity to convince the heart that its qualities—softness, sweetness, kindness, sympathy, sacrifice, feeling of divine oneness with the inner Supreme Pilot—can never be destroyed."
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0231/1/5/index.html

      "We solve world problems by invoking Peace, Light and Bliss in abundant measure, according to our power of receptivity. The Hand of God that feeds the seeker in us is Peace. The Eye of God that leads and guides the server in us is Light. The Heart of God that immortalises the divine lover in us is Bliss. Self-control brings about world peace. World peace conquers world problems."
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0231/1/6/index.html

      "He takes each problem as a blessing which he can use as a stepping-stone to reach the Golden Shore of the ever-transcending Beyond. Just because he is a seeker, he is all compassion. He feels that the proper thing for him is not to discard ignorance-cloak, but to fix it, transform it, and make it useable. He feels ignorance-night as part and parcel of his existence. He considers ignorance-night as lesser light, and the lesser light consciously grows into the greater light. "
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0231/1/6/index.html

      That's all for now,
      Sharani
      p.s. wait till you hear some of the questions answered in this book too...
    • mahiruha_27
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2012
        Sharani,

        This is a very sensitive and very interesting post, indeed. Thank you very much. I will look for this book.

        Thank you for this new inspiration to read Sri Chinmoy's older books!

        Sincerely,

        Mahiruha