Alan Nazareth In Austria And Switzerland

  • doris.cott
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2012
      After our last Wednesday night meditation I went down the stairs as usual to have prasad and meet with fellow students. As I walked pass the kitchen table I saw a piece of paper with a picture of Guru's on the top. It didn't seem to belong to anybody so I took it and read what was written on it. It was all about the last few days that Guru lived on earth. After finishing I asked a person next to me: "What is it about?" She said, "Tomorrow there will be a party here in the centre." I said, "What kind of party? Nobody made an announcement after the meditation." She said, "Alan Nazareth is going to visit our centre tomorrow." I said doubtfully, "*The* Alan Nazareth?" She confirmed. I didn't get more details but was invited.

      I took the piece of paper again. There was no name, nothing, so I can only assume that the following words were written by Nayana. (Others may correct me):

      "On Tuesday, 9 October, Sri Chinmoy hosted his last distinguished guest - Alan Nazareth, a retired Indian ambassador who had served his country in many different locations around the world, including the United States. Upon his arrival in the West Sri Chinmoy worked in the Indian Consolate in New York for three years, before embarking full-time upon his life's service to humanity. The ambassador was Sri Chinmoy's boss for a very short time in 1967 before he left, and in the ensuing years he came to quite a few of Sri Chinmoy's concerts and other activities. Alan Nazareth is currently managing trustee of the Sarvodaya International Trust which works to uphold and spread the ideals espoused by Mahatma Gandhi, and he writes and lectures extensively on applying Gandian ideals to the modern world. During his visit, he and Sri Chinmoy discussed the life's work of Mahatma Gandhi, and Sri Chinmoy then presented his guest with an award honoring his years of service for his native country and for the world."

      I really had difficulties to digest this information. I knew Alan Nazareth from one of my favourite videos, the last videotaped function of Guru's on October 9, 2007, where Sri Chinmoy presented him with an above mentioned award. I don't remember how often I have been watching this video. It seemed that nobody except me was owning it and I was asked to bring it. At home I was inspired to transcribe Alan Nazareth's speech after receiving the award and sent it to a few disciples for inspiration.

      The next day I looked forward anticipating the joy of the upcoming event. It was almost as if Guru himself was visiting the centre. Bhajan, our Indian disciple had been cooking a delicious Indian meal, others prepared some Indian sweets and flowers were put on the tables. The centre was quiet though it was vibrant with activities until we heard Alan Nazareth's voice. We heard him talking outside and everybody who had been talking became silent, only some whispering here and there...

      He and his wife Elisabeth entered the meditation hall escorted by a centre member and everybody present sat down for the evening program. Adesh played a few song arrangements on sitar by Sri Chinmoy, accompanied by his wife Ajita on tabla and his daughter Anupama on flute, followed by Mountain-Silence who played for some twenty Indian minutes, but they all sang Guru's songs very soulfully. Alan commented simply, "Beautiful" after the concert. For him it was very special to see the Chinese Erhu included in spiritual music.

      He then said a few beautiful, encouraging words using metaphorical images describing the deeper meaning of life on earth and men's Goal, that I may not reveal on the internet without his expressed permission. But onething he said was that life can be described in three words: "Tat Tvam Asi." While he was talking I saw golden Light surrounding him.

      We invited him up to our meditation room where we watched the video of him meeting with Sri Chinmoy on October 9, 2007. We were so happy to see Alan and his wife in person, not only because he is a great advocate of peace but also because we see in him someone deeply connected with the ideals of our Master Sri Chinmoy. He noticed our smiles and asked for a song Guru has written about smiles.

      Quietly a group of about twenty people followed him down again to where a simple dinner was prepared. One of our new disciples who has never met Guru said, "The atmosphere must have been like this when Guru came." I nodded and said, "Yes, it was exactly like that."

      During the dinner Alan and Elisabeth were so approachable! Almost everybody was introduced by Hutashan and got the opportunity to share a few words with them. Time passed so quickly and short after mid-night everybody left.

      Alan and Elisabeth expressed their gratitude in an e-mail and said that they had been planning to spend their Golden Wedding Anniversary in Austria and Switzerland, but they were very happy that it turned out to become a spiritual pilgrimage.

      -Doris
    • mahiruha_27
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 17, 2012
        Thank you for this wonderful function report, Doris. I really enjoyed this!

        --Mahiruha
      • suchana27
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 18, 2012
          Hello Doris, after reading your posting I realize how tangible it is one of Guru´s messages [unofficial]: "When Peace multiplies, God multiplies".
          Thank you!
          Suchana