Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: More memories from Oneness-Fountain-Heart

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2012
      I remember Guru would drop by Oneness-Fountain-Heart from time to time during the many years that I worked there.

      Once he came in by himself, unaccompanied by any of his attendants. I suppose he walked the two miles from his house to the restaurant. I think he was wearing dark blue shorts and a polo shirt. He came quite unexpectedly, in the early afternoon. He entered by the front door and walked quickly through the dining room and then into the kitchen. He did not look at either of us waiters or at anybody else. He seemed very intent on something.

      The customers were so electrified! They just looked and looked at Guru in utter amazement.

      I walked into the kitchen and did not see Guru. The cook came up to me and whispered that Guru was around the corner, in the dishwashing area. Then Guru emerged from the dishwasher nook. All of us workers by this time were standing by the line (the cooking area), with folded hands. He smiled at us and then left the way he came.

      We were all speechless. I asked the cook, "What was Guru doing here?"

      "He said, `I am looking for cleanliness.'"

      We all looked at each other. Somebody grabbed a broom. Another boy grabbed a small bucket and a couple of rags. Of course I had to go back to taking care of the customers. But we all stayed an extra hour after work that day doing detail cleaning. I think a few weeks after that Guru did stop by to eat with an ambassador-friend. He announced later at one of our regular Wednesday night meditations that our restaurant was very clean.

      Thank God!

      --Mahiruha
    • mahiruha_27
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 2012
        I think in early 2005, Sri Chinmoy met with an ambassador friend of his at the Oneness-Fountain-Heart Restaurant. We (the waitstaff and the whole restaurant) were given ample notice, so we were very happy to be fully prepared to welcome Sri Chinmoy and his friend. I think Guru did most of the talking. He spoke very quickly and passionately about Indian history, his own experiences in America and the world situation. The Ambassador listened very attentively.

        The ambassador had to leave after an hour, so Sri Chinmoy stayed and had some tea and a chocolate mousse dessert. Then he got up to leave. Maybe ten feet from the door, he paused, and looked around the restaurant.

        "Beautiful, beautiful," he said.

        Then he turned to us, the workers, and said, "To me this is not a restaurant. It is like a beautiful Indian temple. Here I feel sweetness and purity. In life, if you have sweetness and purity, what else do you need?"

        Then Guru smiled at us and left.