Open-Hearted

  • doris.cott
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2012
      I often feel like a stranger living abroad though people speak nearly the same language. I even have an ID for foreigners. Sri Chinmoy advises people to keep walking a path one has chosen even if we feel it might have been the wrong choice. It makes sense to me as we never know God's Will. Nevertheless I am often homesick and find myself memorising old friends.

      Marita was a good friend of mine, she lived some fivty metres away from my place and we often met in the evening to talk...Her flat reflected some of her qualities I knew - extremely simple, clear and a bit cool. She was a mathematician by profession. I so much appreciated her qualities but those who have children know the necessity of flexibility. Though in school I wasn't that good in mathematics I was always intruiged and eager to learn something from her. So it came that we spent several evenings in her living room where she explained to me Einstein's Quantum Theory and I am proud that she was very pleased with her student.

      Sadly it came the time when we had to part. I had met Sri Chinmoy and I wanted to become his student. I happily showed Marita books and pictures of him but her response surprised me. Her only suspicious comment was: "What is his game?" I smiled and replied, perhaps a bit overenthusiastic, "No game, I think he has a lot to give." We argued over our respective feelings and that was it. We never met again.

      I remember this incident, because I find myself often in similar situations. I dare to say I am an open-hearted person but people are often suspicious. They might ask themselves the same question as Marita but one may believe me or not, there is no game. I am just the way I am trying harder to adjust to different personalities.

      In the long run it is all not too sad as we are all gradually growing more and more into the Master's Light. He is never suspicious and accepts each of us the way we are.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2012
        Hi, Doris!

        When your life takes a new turn, you often leave your old friends, if they cannot respect or appreciate what you are doing. Such was the case with me. I used to have a "best friend", and both of us were agnostics, meaning we doubted the existence of God. But actually I think he was more of an atheist, meaning he had taken a strong stance in denying the existence of God....

        Anyhow, when I first saw Sri Chinmoy, I felt and saw God's Light, and it changed my life...in a matter of minutes, without uttering a word, Sri Chinmoy changed my life.

        My "friend" was so adamantly atheist, he did not even want me to say "Sri Chinmoy" in his presence. So I inwardly said, "Oh yeah? See you later!"...and I never turned back.

        Now I have new friends, who value the spiritual practice of prayer and meditation.

        So I guess that is the determining factor. If an old friend can appreciate or even accept your new aspiration-life, why not keep he friendship? But if you feel the inner call to a higher, deeper, more fulfilling life, and your old friend is not friendly to it, you must follow your soul's delight....

        Kamalakanta
      • doris.cott
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2012
          Yes, it is all so true, what you are saying Kamalakanta. I too did have another "good friend" who believed the media more than me and my own firsthand experience with Sri Chinmoy. This "friendship" also ended overnight. But in my heart of hearts those people are still my friends.

          -Doris