Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: Dreams of Guru

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2012
      Soon after I joined the Centre, I had an interesting dream. I had only been a disciple for a few months. In my dream, I saw I was sitting in an empty classroom in my college. I somehow knew that Sri Chinmoy was about to walk in, and that he was going to give me my spiritual name. I was so excited, because usually people have to wait five or ten years or even longer to get their names, and I was about to get mine after just eight or nine weeks!

      Then, sure enough, Sri Chinmoy walked into the classroom, gave me a little smile, and strode up to the chalkboard. He started writing my name on the board. As he wrote each letter, I said it out loud, with great glee.

      The first letter was W
      Then came A
      "I" was the next letter
      He finished with the letter T

      Then he turned around and smiled at me again.

      I jumped up with joy and screamed, "My name, my name is Wait! My name is Wait! Yes, yes! Hold on…"

      It slowly dawned on me that "Wait" was not my name. It was really just an instruction.

      Nine years later I got my spiritual name: Mahiruha. It means "Tree" or the "Aspiration-Tree". It was worth waiting for. Of course, one of the main qualities of a tree is patience. Patience is a virtue. Even though I have my spiritual name, I have to remember every day the need for soulful patience-practice. When the Master gives you advice, even in a dream, that advice can be applicable on many levels.

      "What is earth? Earth is Eternity's patience-tree. Earth is infinity's flowing compassion."

      From Sri Chinmoy's book "Obedience: A Supreme Virtue."
      (http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0319/1/2/index.html)

      --Mahiruha
    • mahiruha_27
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2012
        I had an interesting `Guru dream' not too long ago.

        In my dream, I was walking through a long, nondescript hallway, when I came to a big window. The window looked into a tiny kitchen. I saw Guru standing by the sink, tackling a huge pile of dishes!

        I watched him dunk the plates in the foamy water, scrub them clean and then put them on big racks to dry. I felt sorry for him that he was working so hard. Then, after a few minutes, he stopped and took a few deep breaths. He took off his dishwashing apron and walked to the freezer and pulled out a 'Häagen-Dazs' ice cream bar. I think the flavor was chocolate walnut with vanilla ice cream. He took off the wrapper and began taking small bites. He really seemed to be enjoying it. I was so happy watching him eat the ice cream! Then, without rhyme or reason, an identical 'Häagen-Dazs' appeared in my hand, and I took off the wrapper and began eating, too.

        "Gotta have a 'Häagen-Dazs'," I thought to myself the next morning. Later that day, at work, I remembered that we actually had some 'Häagen-Dazs' in our basement freezer. So, for lunch, instead of my usual healthy salad, I helped myself to a bar of luscious gourmet ice cream. Then I washed the wrapper and the wooden stick and put them in a plastic bag.

        After I die, and my belongings are rifled through for historical value, people will wonder about the 'Häagen-Dazs' relic in my Prasad box, bearing the label, "Given by Guru, 11 March 2012."

        --Mahiruha
      • doris.cott
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2012
          So inspiring Mahiruha! Your dream got me teary eyed!

          Doris

          P.S. I am in Athens, Greece for a month or so, helping with the center activities, enjoying the sun and some garden work, the sea etc. Wondering what my dreams will be next feeling all of them are fulfilled...will report later having no good internet connection.
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2012
            Hi Mahiruha,
            This experience is so moving! When I was feeling low, I played out in my mind what you wrote here and I felt much improved!