Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: The Master's scoldings

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2012
      In the late autumn of 1998, one of Sri Chinmoy's men's singing groups was performing some of his recently composed songs. The Master was not happy with their performance at all. He scolded them for their lack of concern and dedication, and also threatened to disband the group if they did not improve their standard.

      "The leader will have to be strict with them," he said.

      Then he turned to the group leader, one of his most longtime and most beloved disciples, and said with a big smile and with utmost affection," Which is an impossible impossibility!"

      Eight years later, at the tent in Aspiration Ground, Sri Chinmoy asked for people to come up who were working on a particular project. I was one of the people who came up. When it was my turn to come to the microphone and tell everyone what I was doing, Guru made a comment that I didn't quite understand. I thought he said that I had been sleeping, but I think I was just misunderstanding his English.

      "Guru, I was sleeping?" I asked him.

      "No!" he said pointedly.

      He continued: "You were not sleeping. You were meditating. My disciples do not sleep. They meditate and work. They work and work. I sleep and sleep."

      The thing is, I had gotten up really late that morning, for no good reason, and hadn't really done anything the whole day so I blurted out, "I wish!" It was just a dumb thing to say.

      Guru seemed a bit caught off guard, but then he turned to me and gave me a mischievous smile. Then, he shouted, "From tomorrow, work hard!" Then he gave me another cute smile.

      Maybe one of the signs of an enlightened being is that he always sees the good in others. Maybe he knows the bad exists, but he pays all attention to the positive. By emphasizing only the positive, he helps the person to be stronger and more divine.

      --Mahiruha