More Recollections on Sri Chinmoy

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2012
      In the early 1970's, two sisters became disciples of Sri Chinmoy, and developed a very close spiritual connection with the Master. One of them had practiced Zen most seriously before joining our path. Unfortunately, this sister gradually became mentally incapacitated and had to enter an assisted living facility, where she stayed for many years. In the autumn of 2006, the sister who remained as an "official" disciple brought her to a Wednesday night meditation with the Master. I understand that, due to this lady's condition, she had not visited the Guru for quite a few years, maybe even decades. She was completely withdrawn and mute, unable to communicate in any way.

      At the end of the meditation, her sister took her by the shoulder and guided her through the Prasad line, step by step. When it was their turn to stand in front of the Master, Sri Chinmoy stopped the line and called the catatonic woman's name with great enthusiasm and affection. Her sister gently helped her to stand a little closer to the Guru. Then, Sri Chinmoy smiled, grinning almost from ear to ear, and it seemed he was gazing into a vast, unguessable distance. His eyes shifted back and forth a number of times, and then he folded his hands and bowed to her. The woman seemed to bow back ever so slightly.

      I got the impression from looking at Guru's face that he was identifying himself with this disciple of his. Wherever she was, he was able to make contact at the deepest level and to offer his blessingful love to her. Maybe that says something about the Guru's promise, that he will never leave us. No matter what happens in our inner or outer lives, he will never forsake us.

      --Mahiruha