Pentacost Mini Celebrations in Mondsee, Austria

  • doris.cott
    Message 1 of 14 , May 29, 2012
      Sometimes things go wrong - badly wrong, and there are plenty of opportunities to get frustrated (and beyond!). It's easy and common.

      I would be more than happy if anybody else who is more familiar with the English language would write a Joy Day report but that seems to be wishful thinking. In a way I 'hate' to read my name so often on any board, but if you look closely, I am writing here perhaps once a week. Others may fill the blanks.

      I know that people are reading here and for the sake of sharing I would like to offer some of the nice experiences we always have on Joy Days with the hope people will get some joy from them.

      Joy Days always begin for me when the last person has finally found its seat in our big van. This time we drove in a convoy and were altogether 16 people. I like sitting in a car getting a ride through beautiful landscape, having nice talks, listening to spiritual music or reading spiritual books. This time our goal was about seven hours ahead: a small, sedate, touristic place in the Austrian mountains.

      As travel passengers are always different, so are the experiences. Having rather talkative people on board it was an enthusiastic jabber, even chicken would have become silent and listen. I so much enjoyed some of the stories told.

      One young girl proudly presented her coloring book showing us her artwork of having colored characters like Winnie The Pooh, flying balloons and the like. In response another girl tells us her dream she once had in New York in a time she wasn't feeling well. In her dream she had seen Pooh on the top of the Himalayas, building a shrine. This picture is too cute, isn't it? Hearing others laughing I ask what it was about and I am retold the funniest incident I have ever heard about. Some years ago one of the fellow travelers participated in a triple triathlon. During the riding part she got so very tired, that she fell asleep and – off the bike. Not enough, she kept sleeping almost in the middle of an – thank God - empty evening street. Only after some time a German biker appeared and woke her up holding a piece of Swiss chocolate in front of her nose. Funnily she is Swiss and woke up, indeed. We all laughed so hard at this...

      After two hours or so all the quacking subsided and peace descended upon sleeping human beings, some resting their feet (you would never expect!) dégagé on the dashboard which made me giggle. At idle speed we drove through Austria's mountains so high one had to almost slip from the seat to be able to see their tops – giant gray colossuses, gentle waterfalls flowing down from high unseen sources. (True poets would perhaps fill pages writing about them). Watching them it feels like something is inwardly falling away from you softly and makes you breathe deeper at the sight of such powerful wonder. A few more hours of driving (a heartfelt thanks to the drivers) and we arrived in Mondsee. Mondsee means "Moonlake".

      It sounds romantic, (for some rather poetic), which may result in the small city's touristic hurly-burly, supported by it's inviting lake surrounded by more of those gray giants that makes the lake appear rather like a puddle when viewed from the distance. Tourists are being invited to go individually or collectively on boat trips or on long walks around the lake that is lined with shadow spending trees and small huts selling snacks and ice cream. A group of us will do this the next day in the late afternoon after our first evening function, that was packed with soulful and cheerful performances.

      Around five-hundred people had come from Italy, Hungary, Czech Republic, Germany, Switzerland, Yugoslavia and other countries. We were not late but the hall was already filled or better seats were already reserved until the third last row of the hall. Bad luck as we will find out later. Loudspeakers are not far reaching, we get only half of whatever is going on far away on some stage, but we do not mind. The frustration test I had already passed when the van went away to some hotel with my suitcase inside so I couldn't attend the opening meditation because I was still in shorts, tired and dusty from the ride while others were shining in their saris. (Usually I wouldn't mind at all and it is definitely nobody's fault but it was just the dot on some "i"). For me personally the opening and closing meditation is the most important part of Joy Days. This time I walked down to the lake while others were diving deeper into AUM.

      On my way back I see a long time New York disciple and it helps to overcome my frustration. I know now it was worth coming (which it always is and will always be). A litte smile on my face. Later this close disciple of Sri Chinmoy will be interviewed by a "rising star" (who I believe was not much affected by being announced this way). He is not a fallen but a shining star according to me – RUPANTAR! He came! His very presence gave us enormous joy as you cannot separate his existence from Guru's. You see him, you see Guru. We didn't understand much of the interview there in the back, but I believe every third word he used was "Guru" and he spoke about how much Guru identified with the longest race in the world. Some said later, they saw tears in his eyes.

      The evening passed quickly. The chosen MCs, an Austrian brother and sister, were really cute. What I remember? A very nice play about the competition between Ganesha and his brother Kartikeya, who both surrounded the universe in their own way, performing singing groups, poem recitations accompanied by simple, childlike gestures which made the performance extremely funny, a WHR slideshow, an Africa talk, Jharna Kala projects and hmm...announcements for the next day that will be filled with creative opportunities beginning with running, walking in the mountains, horse riding, water activities, hata yoga and importantly - sport games!

      I would have liked to join the games if even only watching others, but somehow I found myself in a cheap hotel room, curtains closed, fortunately alone, (because someone did not show up) and listen to the little dwerf with the hammer inside my head. It's the fifth day in a row, sometimes he was only knocking, at other times hammering really. The sun is not my enemy, but sadly I had to hide from him. There were some older ladies who cared for my wellbeing like mothers...long talks about healthy nutrition, I humbly took every bitter herb that was offered but in the end stubbornly defended my case trying pain killers every four hours knowing perfectly well, they would only weaken the muscles. Anyways, everything has an end and towards the evening I felt better.

      We had another nice evening of soulful performances, mellowed by some really funny jokes played by some Austrian girls, manifestation news, a video of Guru,Tulashi's magic, Aruna and Bandhavi and very nice, even organic Prasad.

      Feeling better, I looked forward to my own performance (promised) that took place in the early morning after the 6 a.m. morning meditation. I felt honored but was nervous. Guru's Transcendental Picture did a really great job, what more can I say. Sitting in the very back of a large hall, streaks of Light made it directly to the place where I was sitting. I did invoke Guru but did not expect the Transcendental to be so powerfully working because I never had such an experience before. Then on stage I had soft knees though as the mic did not work which causes extra attention, but in the end everything went well. It might not be very modest but I did like our musical accompaniment of bells and bowls, shruti box and vocals in the background. And perhaps even less modest I am posting one of the poems that I had chosen:

      My Lord,
      Is there anything sweeter than forgiveness?
      "Yes, my child,
      Gratitude is by far sweeter than forgiveness."
      My Lord,
      Is there anything more fulfilling than the feeling of oneness?
      "Yes, my child,
      If you feel, that you are the eternal lover and
      I am your eternal Beloved,
      And when you feel,
      That I am the eternal Lover and
      You are My eternal beloved,
      The feeling of oneness is supremely transcended
      And immortally fulfilled."

      From: My Lord's Secrets Revealed (unofficial)

      * * *

      Doris
    • priyadarshan44
      Message 2 of 14 , May 30, 2012
        Dear Doris,

        You are such a good storyteller.
        And your English is very good (quite silly to say from an
        Italian, but isn't our small world cosmopolitan by nature?)
        You should consider collecting all your stories into a book.
        I am sure many people would greatly enjoy it.

        Thank you!

        Priyadarshan
      • doris.cott
        Message 3 of 14 , May 31, 2012
          *Thank you*, dear Priyadarshan. Your English is excellent and you are a trustworthy person, so I humbly accept your encouragement. A book? Hm...I am not quite an initiative person, (perhaps an East German legacy), but if I do try, things often nicely go wrong. I may not have the patience. :-)

          Let's see...

          I forgot to mention two noteworthy things in the Joy Day report: A phone call from or to Australia, where disciples there also had a Joy Day either in Sydney or Melbourne, I couldn't figure out properly. We sang for them and they sang for us. The hall was shaking with prolonged applause. I cannot imagine there was any serious face in the audience.

          The next afternoon during service there was also a meditative concert with Agnicana's group in a magnificant basilica. It was mostly filled with disciples who attentively listened to the soulful music and also to the heartfelt words of the priests who spoke alternating in German and English.

          * * *
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
            Doris, thank you for such a wonderful story. I enjoyed every word of it!

            Kamalakanta
          • doris.cott
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
              Thank you so much, Kamalakanta, I am quite sure any prolonged applause would have been applied to you as well.

              Doris
            • suchana27
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2012
                Dear Doris,

                I try to be one of your faithful readers though I may not be posting so often now.

                Your lovely report reminds me some few similar funny experiences -going quickly to the sleep world while I was trying to finish 47 Miles on August 27 many years ago!

                I am very grateful to you for your heartful sharing of such a significant meeting in Austria which I enjoy a lot!

                Please, keep on posting! :-)
                In oneness,
                Suchana
              • doris.cott
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2012
                  Dearest Suchana, as if I wouldn't know about all your activities and responsibilities...but there are people, indeed, who would easily bring this site to live again. ;-)

                  Your 47 mile race experience reminds me of a poem I read some days ago:

                  2045 God Compassionately Asks

                  God compassionately asks me,
                  "Will you be available?"
                  He never asks me,
                  "Will you be able?"

                  -Sri Chinmoy
                  http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0453/45

                  * * *
                • suchana27
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 10, 2012
                    Dear Sweet Doris,your kind encouragement is bringing me back to this marvellous spiritual forum with a new secret about activities and reponsabilities:-) : in my "free-rush-time" I have been watching some people around and noticed that many youngers have a new companion -the violin!

                    There are times when I can see young groups of musicians going here and there with their smiling faces. Something I haven´t seen for ages! And It sounds so good!!

                    If you have a chance to watch some videos, I invite you to see this site: www.iguazuenconcierto.com Here several talented orchestras and choirs with children from different parts of the world offer an unforgettable musical experience just a hundred meters away from the magnificent Iguacu Falls in May every year.

                    I remember that Guru said how difficult it is to play the violin beautifully -something that he could finally achieve! Some of His violin-writings are funny -stories about Einstein for example I love!- but I prefer to choose this one now:

                    "Your thunder-vital will never be able
                    To conquer the heart of the world.
                    It is your sweet violin-heart
                    That will conquer-
                    In fact, has already conquered-
                    The heart of the world."

                    Sri Chinmoy
                    in www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0551/56

                    Seeing you soon in this wonderful world,
                    Suchana
                  • doris.cott
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 14, 2012
                      Dear Suchana, I really enjoyed the happy smiles, especially those of a young boy in the orchestra. There are plenty of talented kids and other people out there in the world. I am glad only rarely do I get lost watching some of the videos on the internet.

                      Three videos though are still sticking in my mind:
                      Susan Boyle in Britains Got Talent with singing "I Dreamed A Dream"
                      Homeless Boy Steals The Talent Show
                      North Korean Girl Guitarrist, still in Kindergarten

                      We are fortunate to have Dundubhi in our centre in Zurich. She plays the violin perfectly - soulfully and sweetly. I so much love it. I was told that Guru once made a comment on her violin playing. He said (paraphrasing) that her soul would dance on the strings while she is playing. What a talent!

                      You can listen to some CDs here:
                      http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/7457/i-fly-in-the-heart-sky-mountain-silence-4/
                      I especially like track 5.

                      See you soon? I hope so! :-)

                      Doris
                    • suchana27
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 24, 2012
                        Hello dear Doris!

                        I do remember how beautifully sang Susan Boyle last year or the year before just because she became very famous overnight. But unlike you, I have no time to watch videos on the internet so often and not even know whether she is still singing.

                        I like your story about Guru´s comment on Dundubhi´s performances. I just feel so much oneness and peace each time I can see her playing on her violins; how happy we would be just to see her soul dancing on the strings as Guru did! Maybe the soul-fragrance plays an important role in the Master´s words as well.

                        Today as I was working on a short translation as I was listening to some poetry recited by Guru himself in www.radiosrichinmoy.org
                        I could feel it like a chanting, the eternal chanting of a roaring lion and a sweet bird at once. Sometimes his voice embodies hundred voices in only one voice; this is something unique and full of powerful hope for a no native English speaking listener like me. How lucky we are to enjoy those living recordings every day!

                        Happiest days! :-)
                        Suchana
                      • doris.cott
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 26, 2012
                          So nice you know Susan. I very much like her personality.

                          I am very impressed about your ability to hear a hundred voices in Guru's singing. In an interview Guru once said, indeed, that a particular, famous musician once noticed exactly what you feel. That is really something.

                          In oneness
                          Doris
                        • louisanaturelle
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 26, 2012
                            Dear all,
                            Is there any site from where I could download Bartika's jazz group performances?
                            Thank you with all my heart.
                            Luiza
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 28, 2012
                              Hi!

                              The site is Radio Sri Chinmoy.

                              Here is the address, and two links to performances by Bartika's Jazz Group.

                              In the Radio Sri Chinmoy site, you will find many performances by Sri Chinmoy or by his students. You can download them for free.

                              enjoy!

                              Kamalakanta

                              http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/

                              http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/6583/bartika-jazz-group-augsburg-june-2011/