Have you discovered Antara-Prabhat's musical genius?

    Message 1 of 1 , May 14 11:00 AM
      Hi everyone,
      I have a new favorite music CD, featuring the songs of Sri Chinmoy arranged and performed by Antara-Prabhat - a student of Sri Chinmoy who grew up in Seattle and now resides in Queens, New York.

      I bought the double disc edition of "Tomar Adesh : Songs of the Lover and the Beloved" and "The Inner Fight." If you buy the CD you also get a cool liner note booklet that is essentially a graphic novel with drawings by Antara-Prabhat.

      I lent the CD to another RI centre member before he took a road trip and as soon as I got it back, I am back to playing it during my daily commute to work.

      Short previews of the CD are available on iTunes. Start by visiting Antara-Prabhat's website: http://www.antara-prabhat.com You can also listen to his debut CD at RadioSriChinmoy.org but I think the new release really transcends his first.
      http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/6616/the-beautys-dawn-of-the-climbing-aspiration-heart-cd-by-antara-prabhat/

      So why do I like it so much? Well, it is very creative, fresh and experimental with very clear melody lines at the same time. You don't find yourself saying what song of Sri Chinmoy's is this yet he adds creative flairs to the song that really resonate.

      In the first song on Tomar Adesh, the first Bengali part has the whole repeating reverb thing going on and then it is followed by the English song that pairs with the Bengali one that sounds so like the Beatles that you will go hah!

      Then in the Inner Fight CD, he has these powerful songs related to fighting against ignorance and he very creatively does the unexpected - in one song it is very delicate and lilting - this technique shakes you out of complacency and the mainstream approach to an arrangement of Sri Chinmoy's songs.

      If I were more of a pop music expert, I would rattle off who else he reminds me of - maybe Peter Frampton or ...

      And the other delight of the CD is the mastery of Premik Tubbs on flute, sax, etc. The Tomar Adesh song starts with this very Middle Eastern feel like you are listening to a snake charmer work his magic.

      One thing is for sure - he could easily have crossover appeal and these songs could potentially play on the radio, perhaps in Bangladesh even.

      And if he shows up on some talent show like Idol, The Voice or America's Got Talent, I for one won't be the bit surprised. This young musician is delightful fresh new talent in the Centre.