Sweetness In Childhood/Little House On The Prairie

  • doris.cott
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2012
      Before I read Sri Chinmoy's answer to a particular question from a student of his, I would not have even dared to mention here the TV show "Little House On The Prairie" directed by Michael Landon and others. I watched some of the episodes in a time when I was either unreceptive to Guru's Light or pain prevented me from meditating well. Sometimes I felt I was wasting the Master's and my precious time by watching those episodes and that I would have many other things to do. But now I know I did absolutely the right thing. I drank in the beauty of simplicity, nature and the feeling of oneness in a family no matter what the outer or inner problems. Every tiny detail of the scenery I identified with. I also appreciated the film music by David Rose that conciderably added to the beauty and depths of the happenings.

      Of course, many ways lead to Rome, for me the episodes worked well. I learned a lot from the different characters, but I can only imagine how challenging it must have been for children to grow up "on camera" for ten years and then witness in the end how their beloved city Walnut Grove literally gets blown up.

      There is one episode I would really recommend anybody to watch. It is the one in which Charles Ingalls prayed for the recovery of his beloved, adopted child. He retreats for two weeks to the mountains with his deadly wounded son and has some mystic experiences. After intense prayers and following some advice of an inner voice his son recovers.

      Michael Landon says in an interview that he had no notion of what he was going to write when he wrote down the story. He said he felt very close to God. (I cannot give the link to the episode because I was watching in German).

      It was especially the characters of Laura Ingalls (Melissa Gilbert), Albert Ingalls (Matthiew Laborteaux)and Willi Olsen (Jonathan Gilbert) that caught my attention. All were incredibly talented children actors and actresses with hearts so vast and qualities so innocent and vibrant.

      Well, the father Charles Ingalls (Michael Landon) and the charming mother Caroline Ingalls (Karen Grassle)both played their roles extraordinarily well.

      * * *

      I may retype the question/answer of the new published book "You Belong To God" by the Master:

      Question: "What if your childhood experiences were of suffering rather than sweetness?

      Sri Chinmoy (excerpts): "If you feel that your parents were not nice, if you did not get good treatment from your parents right from your infancy, then you have to take your imagination as a reality. Imagine once again your childhood. You were brought up in one family, but right around you, in your vicinity, some parents were extremely, extremely nice to their children. Identify with them, identify, identify! This is not a false approach. Your parents brought you into the world, true, but I wish to say that imagination is a reality of its own.
      Always try identification. You did not receive love and affection, perhaps, but now you can definitely apply your imagination and imagine love and affection. Just think of one particular family where the parents were so indulgent with their children. That imagination will definitely give you sweetness, happiness, and a feeling of inner fulfilment. Just spread your imagination-wings! You are like a bird. Spread your wings and just fly to a country, imagine a village and see a particular place. What you are seeing is so true..."

      "...If your parents were not kind, just imagine sweetness, sweetness, sweetness. Early in the morning look at a flower, look at the dawn. If you can identify with nature, you are getting tremendous joy. At that time are you thinking about how your parents struck you black and blue? You are the same person but your wisdom has to work. You have to bring forward sweet memories, sweet memories, sweet memories. If you do not have sweet memories from your immediate family that cannot prevent you from getting sweetness from your childhood. Now that you are mature you have to use wisdom at every moment. Exercise wisdom, wisdom, wisdom..."

      Guru said something to the effect that a drop of poison would be able to ruin a nectar drink. Now I feel confirmed that a drop of nectar can save one's childhood.

      I personally did not find a happy family around my place where I grew up, but definitely my childhood holidays in summer that I spent with my step mother's parents in a tiny village saved a lot. Those sweet memories made me watch the "Little House On The Prairie" TV show.

      Solely the memory of an old pink blossoming cherry tree that grew right in front of the window that was so near to the mossy ground we we were able to simply step out of it...and the swing we made from an old metal chain and some piece of wood...the squieking of the tilted trunk and the mild wind blowing through our hair and dresses...and, and, and, makes me cry. There are so many more sweet memories that makes me want to live at such places again if they ever still exist on this earth. It is a strong desire.

      I am aware that the Master pointed in his answer to his own family in India. I may not want to describe in what ways my heart sometimes goes out to Yogamaya and Shashi Kumar Ghosh, the Master's parents, and also to his brothers and sisters, but especially I feel close to Mantu and Lily. Deep respect prevents me though to get too close to them.

      I am also very, very fond of the Ashram stories Sri Chinmoy speaks with so much affection and love about. Sri Aurobindo, Nolini Kanta Gupta, Rabrindanath Tagore, only to name a few.

      Yes, I am longing for an intimate family feeling.

      Some may want to read this article:

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1244/3/2
    • purnakama2000
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2012
        Ah Doris how I remeber the Little House on the Prairie TV show! It really was sweet and innocent and pure. Before I watched the show however I absolutely devoured the books, several times over. There was something precious in the innocence and simplicity of the books that I loved.
        And here I am, living on the prairie, not too far from the places Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote about. I love the wide open prairie, with space as far as the eye can see.

        And yes I think you were right to watch these episodes. I loved Guru's answer about what to do if you grew up in a difficult family. Such compassion he has for all of us.

        I'm embarrassed to say that I am rather addicted to watching Merlin at the moment. It is also quite sweet, but with the eternal theme of good vs evil.

        If you have not yet read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, I highly reccomend them!

        Purnakama
      • doris.cott
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2012
          I am on my way, Purnakama! :-)

          I also reviewed your pictures from summer and winter on the prairie at the online gallery:

          http://gallery.srichinmoycentre.org/members/purnakama/

          Yes, I would like to read the books (and I will) but at the moment I am glad I overcame *my* addiction...