13 things about April Celebrations

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2012
      Before the month of April is done and over on this second to last day of the month, I am thinking about how we have not discussed Celebrations at all yet on this forum. Since I know for many it was an especially lovely and inspiring gathering this time, I thought why not think of 13 highlights since the day April 13th is the reason for the timing of this spiritual retreat.

      If I do not think of 13 myself, I do hope others will chime in - particularly because I was not at the middle portion of it when the Harmony Run started, etc.

      Highlights:
      1. The poignant, powerful and soulful moments placing a flower, incense or candle on the steps of the temple - both on the day of the Yogamaya Celebration and on the 13th.

      2. Circus practices in Goosepond Park with the hubub of breakfast happening at the other end of the park.

      3. Officially entering the 2 mile race and inwardly chanting "My dearest Guru is the runner, the coach and the result" while walking/jogging.

      4. Singing along with the Bhajans and listening to the blowing of the conches and ringing the tiny bells during Yogamaya

      5. Cruising around Manhattan on foot the day of the Songs of the Soul Concert instead of by subway (my pedometer clocked 11 miles that day) and going out to eat near Columbus Circle.

      6. The Canadian female ensemble performance at the Songs of the Soul Concert - I think it might have been the first time that constellation of performers were together on stage for such a large audience and they were superb!

      7. Reading from the new books sold, including Guru's 1,600th book entitled "Our Sweetest Oneness".

      8. Shopping at Circus - I was on a budget this year but my favorite new discovery was Antara-Prabhat's second music CD - a double disc set that I will write about separately.

      9. Helping to serve mostly home prepared (by my spiritual brothers and sisters) Indian fare on banana leaves in the driveway during Yogaymaya

      10. The walking meditation where we all simultaneously sang a different song of our choice from Guru's vast repertoire.

      11. Saying hello and chatting with people from across the globe who I see only a few times a year or who I have only seen in other far-flung places such as Mazatlaan or Finland.

      12. Hearing stories of wonderful projects and meditation class techniques happening around the world.

      13. The pilgrimage walk to Guru's house on April 13th and the tiny flower prasad which now still lives in a small vase of water on my shrine here back home.

      Whew! I did 13 - hope others share too. A week and a half ago some American girls shared a free conference telephone call, signing in from Florida, Rhode Island, Minnesota and Washington. The repeating refrain was all the sweet and inspiring experiences from this April's Celebration gathering in New York. For those on the line who were unable to afford coming, they really enjoyed hearing the news.

      Sharani
    • doris.cott
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2012
        So nice to hear from you and about highlights from April celebrations, dear Sharani!

        Well, I have not been in NY for April celebrations and didn't really get knews so far (but I am not complaining). I have had a very good time except for the persistant rain.

        I may not be able to name thirteen special things that happened here, but what definitely was a highlight for me were the new books "Illumining Questions And Answers" by Guru (I heard there must be four or seven new ones of this series. Two of them reached me somehow and also new videos "The Life Of A Master" and new "Wisdom-Pearls". I am 'benefitting' so much from both books and videos.

        If you or others know exactly what books were published and name their titles here in this forum I would be very grateful.

        I got the books "Beyond Likes And Dislikes" and mysteriously right after I finished reading it "You Belong To God".

        The Master advised us to read his books page by page and not browse through them but in the case of "You Belong To God" I became impatient and read the question/answer that I myself had asked inwardly so often, first. It is about a childlike consciousness, a childhood without sweet experiences, suffering in childhood, and how much our childhood influences us.

        Each and every question/answer is illumining, indeed and partly confirms that I am on the right path trying to make myself happy.

        Thanks so much to those who compiled the questions and answers and worked so hard to make them available in the form of new books to all of us to read and learn.

        Got to go and read...and watch...!

        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2012
          Hi Doris,
          Now let's see if I can share the news of events I missed in case no one else picks up the thread of this conversation. :-)

          One day there was a 7 hour meditation and I believe the weather was quite sunny and warm that day - perfect for being outside to meditate. There was an event in Manhattan one night in place of the usual function at Aspiration Ground in which a combination meditation workshop and concert for the public was held. There was a marathon for runners with qualifying speed in prior races. The 12 hour walk and the World Harmony Run 2012 ceremony happened on the same day. I heard from several people that they liked this WHR launch the best of all they had ever attended.

          Oh - gotta go back to work, lunch hour almost over. Talk more here later

          Sharani
          p.s. I started reading Beyond Likes and Dislikes when I borrowed it during Celebrations - I don't actually own it yet. It has some pretty profound stuff in it!!!